EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning does not start  (Read 23896 times)

MAMEBase

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.12 Mac OS X 10.12
  • Browser:
  • Safari 10.0 Safari 10.0
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning does not start
« Reply #60 on: 02 October 2016, 01:33 »

All righty then...

Based on what we know so far, the problem appears to be related to the update to Mac OS X 10.12. What remains unknown, is whether the problem lies in the OS, or WINE (I think we've effectively eliminated CMP, and/or changes in MAME as the culprit).

The remaining question then becomes; Where do we go from here?

Roman - I cannot begin to thank you enough for taking the time to look into this matter... If you think additional testing would be beneficial, I'm on board! (Incidentally, you mentioned that you don't have a Mac OS environment to test in... Were that to change, would that be of any use to you? I'm not making any promises, but I'm looking into options... ;) )

Carbon - For me, it's looking like my next step will be to set up a Boot Camp partition, and run CMP under actual Windows (Seems a bit of overkill for the ability to run a single Windows-Only App, but as long as I can point to the ROMs directory on my Mac HD, and have CMP work its magic, it's a livable, albeit (hopefully) temporary solution...

We can't be the only ones affected by this...

Which brings me back to the previous question; Is the next logical step to contact the author(s) of WINE, and see if they can pinpoint the fault? It would be a simple matter to supply them with a copy of CMP, but they would then need all 36,000+ Rom Sets to fully test (not an impossibility, but the logistics leave much to be desired... :-\ )

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 02 October 2016, 07:30 »

Currently I'm knocked out by a damn cold. I come back on this topic around tuesday I think.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 53.0.2785.143 Chrome 53.0.2785.143
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 03 October 2016, 21:03 »

ok..fully back tomorrow I guess....

Regarding "Upon completion, the expected results widow comes up, but is empty, and when attempting to redo the scan, all checkboxes are extremely slow to respond (I thought it had locked up again, but it appears that all processes are taking a minute or so to respond to mouse clicks)"

What is the "results window", the scanner tree with the expandable results or the statistics window?
Do you auto-save fix datfiles? Scanner Tree window context menu Save...
If so, disable it for a test.

Regarding the tree-walk problem, I will try to create a mini stand alone program which simply prints out the files for a path....similar what cmpro does with it. If this fails on MacOS already..tough luck...but maybe useful for Wine developers then. Maybe it's simply a problem with the compiler optimization levels....
well..again...recovering at the moment....will check later this week

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 October 2016, 20:22 »

ok...a did a very simple test program
http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/binaries/DirWalk.rar

The rar file holds 3 exe files
one with default visual studio 2015 community compiler settings
one with extra compile set to support older OS (like XP)
one with the settings used in cmpro

A window, a scan button (where you should select your rompath with > 25000 files). After selecting it, the box below the button gets filled with the single filenames (no directory recursion)...top right shows the file counter.

Successful run: All your romfiles should appear
Failure: well, as you know it from cmpro, it holds somewhere...most likely somewhere near 25000 files starting with s*

would be interesting if that works for you...if not I'm happy to upload the source code so that WINE developers can have a look at it....

Carbon

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 October 2016, 21:37 »

Output from DirWalk_default.exe:

Found Files: 25'958 (there are in fact 33'552 fils in the folder) and nothing appears in the text box below

Output from DirWalk_Opti.exe:

Found Files: 25'716 (and nothing in the text box below, either)

Output from DirWalk_XP.exe:

Found Files: 25'923 (still nothing appears in the text box)

Running DirWalk_default.exe a second time, now there were 25'943 files found.

Subsequent running of the 3 programs always yielded in slightly different results.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 October 2016, 22:03 »

so it has the same problem no matter what the compile and link options are...very interesting.
I will upload the source code tomorrow...

and I guess some other path with less files works for you...

thanks for testing.

Carbon

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 October 2016, 22:19 »

Yep, selecting for example my Art folder containing 1389 files, all are displayed correctly in the text box and additionnally I can quit the program by clicking on the close box.

In the previous case, I had to quit them from Wine's Task Manager.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 05 October 2016, 07:29 »

I hope I find some time today to:

- run a quick test with Wine/Ubuntu (pretty stupid I know...)
- modify the test program to see if a non-MFC version would work
- release the source

Well, the basic code is something like this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f33e1618.aspx#Anchor_2

Question is: maybe WINE's interpreation of the MFC CFileFind calls opens but does not close files within this loop and you somehow run out of filehandles...or something...pure guessing here.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2016, 07:40 by Roman »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 05 October 2016, 18:53 »

http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/binaries/DirWalk2.rar

with sourcecode....

I've added a second scan button. One uses the MFC function calls, one plain Win32 api...
and I've removed filtering of directories and system files...maybe *that* got a problem (I've read some old article on directory checks causing an assertion from time to time...so let's test this).

So...If both buttons fail for your...you got the sourcecode to go to WINE/Crossover developers to check what's going on.

Carbon

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05 October 2016, 19:30 »

And here are my results:

- Scan MFC button: stops at 25'782 files, no output in text box

- Scan button: stops at 25'781 files, no output in text box

Carbon

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05 October 2016, 20:04 »

I took your advice and went to the WINE site to explain the bug. There I noticed they had an up-to-date build for macOS (I'd always used WineBottler, a nicely packaged version with additional features like easy environment set-up, but alas a few versions behind).

So I tried WINE 1.9.19 anyway, and there it worked! So I will use that version until WineBottler is updated.

Sorry for bothering you Roman and, once again, big thank you for your help and of course CMP Pro :)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05 October 2016, 20:11 »

hip hip hurray....now what to do with the preordered mac? ;-)
« Last Edit: 06 October 2016, 07:23 by Roman »

MAMEBase

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07 October 2016, 00:38 »

Well, I guess this is what happens when I leave town for a couple of days...  :-\

I'm thrilled that it's looking like an update to WINE will solve this issue (Now I just have to figure out how to do that myself... ;) )

Roman - Again, thank you for the amazingly quick responses, and willingness to help with this issue (and, of course for CMP... ;) )

Carbon - If you have a spare moment or two, if you wouldn't mind PMing me, and let me know what steps I might have to do, to get my own WINE environment situated (I believe they're up to 1.9.20...  :) )

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 07 October 2016, 08:04 »

just out of interest....what were the options for the macOS you were talking about ;-)

MAMEBase

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 08 October 2016, 00:37 »

Well, to be honest, I was starting to look over eBay (among other places) for a reasonably priced Mac Mini that I would then offer to donate to the cause... ;D

Sure, you'd still have to supply the monitor, keyboard and mouse, but it would provide you with a Mac OS environment to play with/develop in... :)

Who knows? It might even inspire you to develop a Mac/Linux version of CMP (I kid... I'm not sure if that's even a possibility)

I'm not a rich individual, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to contribute what I can, when I can to the community (I got my start with MAME around version 0.2x... Back when the ROM Set total was less than 100... I used to maintain a small, external database of ROMs, cheats, and other, miscellaneous files needed to make MAME work... Hence my Screen name). MAME has grown exponentially over the years, and I struggle to keep up with it all... I'm relatively new to CMP, and all it can do (up until a couple of years ago, I would attempt to manage my ROM Sets by hand, using a variety of Mac utilities/frontends), and as a retired Apple Service Tech, I was initially reluctant to make use of CMP, as it was a windows-only utility. WINE has made it possible for me to make use of CMP, and I can't imagine not using it going forword... ;)

If supplying you with a Mac OS environment would prove at all beneficial, I'll continue my search... If not (and my feelings will not be injured in the slightest, should that be the case), please let me know, and I'll focus my attention elsewhere... :D

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 08 October 2016, 12:18 »

wow...what a generous offer...but use your time with your family and friends...and spend your money on them ;-)
I think postage and custom fees on top of it will still make it way too expensive as a cmpro donation.
If you're Tim Cook and you need a new one and got one old over and before you put it in the bin, I'd take it of course.

I'm glad the problem is resolved...

A native cmpro version is not planned...the core is old...clrmame is old...actually I've started 1997. Actually I always wanted to start over..with something better portable and way of new ideas ...but with family and real life the time is really limited...and when I started, users came back with a bug in the current core...or MAME devs decided to change something.....but I still like the idea of starting over..hehehehe...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.

anything