EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rename and case change do not work in latest version on exFat  (Read 3212 times)

yannerix

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.70 Chrome 78.0.3904.70
    • View Profile

Hi there,

Current release notes state: 'fixed: case rename on eFAT formatted drives does not work'

despite what the release notes say - I have my Mame on exFat and wanted to make name and case changes ... once cmp got to them and I said yes to the dialog box it simply 'crashed' to desktop. 100% repro - nothing to do with the zip.

When reading about the earlier issues I copied everything onto my system drive which is NTSC and now everything works.
Perhaps you can take another look and see if it really works in all cases. I know it doesn't on mine (external SSD via USB 3.0 with exFat filesystem - working correctly on internal SSD with NTSC filesystem)

Thanks

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.87 Chrome 78.0.3904.87
    • View Profile
Re: rename and case change do not work in latest version on exFat
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2019, 10:36 »

No problems here. I've formatted an USB 3.0 stick with exFat on an up2date Windows 10 System and did some tests with it (using the current nightly build of cmpro).
Fix operations, include renames work fine. The case fix is by the way nothing but a rename to a temporary name and a 2nd rename to the right case one.

So maybe you should send me your file in question to do more tests...or try with an USB stick yourself.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.87 Chrome 78.0.3904.87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2019, 07:29 »

hi, any update on this? In the meantime I've tried some other PCs and media and I still can't reproduce this.

yannerix

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2019, 12:11 »

I am using a Samsung Portable T5 external SSD via USB 3.0. I was basically trying to go from MAME 0.185 full set to 0.215 full set. It was not working on the external SSD at all as it Crashed/Closed to Desktop without warning or error message. Essentially on any file that needed its case or name changed. Files were ok as I was able to change case or name by hand. Another weird thing was that it sometimes threw an error that it couldn't backup files (when fixing missing) and therefore would leave those alone.

Only thing that did the trick was to copy to internal SSD NTSF formatted and do the whole operation there. That worked absolutely flawless in all aspects.

I would chuck it right now on the heap of 'my own setup causing issues' especially as there is a simple work-around for me.

Thank you very much for looking into this and staying on it.

Best
« Last Edit: 10 November 2019, 12:20 by yannerix »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2019, 17:33 »

sounds weird....since cmpro of course only calls windows system library calls to rename files (we're talking about plain files/folders right? not files inside archives!?), so crashing/exisitng to desktop sounds like an internal library call caused an exception/assertion...

at the moment I can only say that it's not related to exFat in general since it works fine on devices formatted that way.
Soo....hard to say what the real problem is...could be a bad USB driver (in the combination with that drive), could be a bad drive (maybe there is a firmware update in the meantime). I guess Samsung has some software coming with the drive which might give a clue.....My laptop at work once had some really weird usb problems till I got updated drivers...

what happens if you (if you can do this without too much effort) format the drive to NTFS and then again to exFat

or what's the cluster size of the exFat formatted drive....so I can try to get a configuration as near as possible to yours
« Last Edit: 10 November 2019, 17:47 by Roman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.

anything
anything