EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning multiple folders to make new zips of roms  (Read 1954 times)

skozzy

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 101.0.4951.54 Chrome 101.0.4951.54
    • View Profile

I have some type of rom collection from 11 year ago, never really touched mame since cause others things in life kept me busy. Around that time I used clrmamepro and if I understood anything from then I sure dont today.
So I have that 11 year old collection of rom zip files, I found a few old CD/DVDs with rom zip files, I had an old HDD from an old Pc I used for mame years ago, and I attempted to download something recent but it isn't really complete. So I have a mess of zips files basically. I don't care that I don't have every game, but I would like to do something with the mess I have and make a folder with a bunch of working zip files.

One guide says start with the scanner another says start with rebuilder etc. but I think all these are guides are for people who have everything and want a fully up to date large collection without missing a single file.
I have two goals in mind, I have mame4droid on my phone ( needing only a hand full of games) and an old stand up arcade cabinet under the house I bought years ago for a mame cabinet project. Without downloading more roms for games I likely dont need (im interesting in old school stuff like space invaders, pacman, donkey kong and some old scrolling shooters, really old classics), what would be the suggested method of scanning through all this old stuff to make a new set of zip files. What I want to do is have like one english game of somthing and dump the rest, i dont really want to open mame or a front end and see 20 versions of pacman for example.

« Last Edit: 09 May 2022, 17:19 by skozzy »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 101.0.4951.54 Chrome 101.0.4951.54
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning multiple folders to make new zips of roms
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2022, 06:00 »

The rebuilder is the solution.

Let the rebuilder source point to your "messy collection" and rebuilder destination to a new folder. Use a datfile (or MAME binary import) for the data basis you want to create your target sets for.
The rebuilder matches anything valid (hash compare) in the source, no matter how it is named and creates all instances of the matches in the destination. Of course this doesn't mean it will create complete sets, just anything valid which can be found.
The rebuilder also supports drag'n drop and/or multiple source folders (via add paths).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 19 queries.