EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper settings for select consoles + arcade?  (Read 2966 times)

Andrew

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 96.0.4664.45 Chrome 96.0.4664.45
    • View Profile
Proper settings for select consoles + arcade?
« on: 03 December 2021, 15:29 »

What are the correct "Systems" selections in the scanner when wanting to scan arcade ROMs and a handful of consoles? Up to now, I have two profiles set up with one using the the official MAME build and one using an arcade-only build. I have a profile to use the official build to scan console ROMs in specific folders. For example, I have 32x and a2600 checked and have a AssignedSysDefPath set for each in the Systems list. Everything else is unchecked. And I have those folders listed in the ROM-Paths under Settings. For the arcade build, I chose not to import software lists. In the Systems list, everything is checked but I have no AssignedSysDefPath set for anything but in the ROM-Paths I have a folder for ROMs and one for CHD listed.

This setup works fine but I'm wondering if I can modify the official build profile to also scan arcade ROMs and CHDs? But when I put checkmarks on the STANDARD, MECHANICAL, DEVICE and BIOS systems and scan, it tells me at least one path isn't valid. If I assign those systems to my arcade ROMs folder I get a lot of missing ROMs.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 96.0.4664.55 Chrome 96.0.4664.55
    • View Profile
Re: Proper settings for select consoles + arcade?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2021, 15:43 »

The easiest is to keep separte profiles. One for MAME without software lists and one for each software list.

If you really want to use the combined mode, you can a) limit the number of software lists on import. After that you will have the ones you've chosen plus the ones for MAME (which are Standard, Mechanical, devices and lots of BIOS ones). All software lists paths need to be distinct and unique, the other ones don't have to be unique. Assign your setup rompaths correctly to them and you can scan.

Your problem is that you try to separate chds in a standalone path. Why? A set (let's take area51 for example) consists of a rom set and a chd which is also part of it....so splitting up chds in a different folder that the belonging roms is not really a good thing.
And you can't assign the paths in that scenario if you split them up that way. Since as I said...let's take area51 for example which belongs to "Standard" needs to be assigned to 1 rompath.... and you got 2...your roms and chdspath.

so I guess...you should switch to the separated profiles options. Simply drop MAME's hash folder entries to the profiler for the softwarelists you like to use.

Andrew

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 96.0.4664.45 Chrome 96.0.4664.45
    • View Profile
Re: Proper settings for select consoles + arcade?
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2021, 03:37 »

I'll stick with the separate profiles then. Good point about my splitting of the arcade ROMs and CHDs into different folders. This was a holdover from when I used to have them on different drives. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 20 queries.

anything
anything