EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ClrMamePro - Scanner can't show parent roms after a complete scan ?  (Read 4033 times)

DjDiabolik

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 70.0 Firefox 70.0
    • View Profile

Hi... i'm newest italian boys here :)
I have need some help whit usage of last CLRMamePRO 4.035.
On my PC i have a little collection of roms whit a setup of latest mameui 0.215.
I have use CLRMamePro so many times... i thinks i can use good but now i see i need some help and i have some dubs about the usage.
I try to explain:
I do a full scan... before to start i choose to "Hide Fully-Missing set" for not obtain a red cross.
When scan it's complete i obtain a completely clean SCAN RESULT........... I thought this indicated that my little roms collection it's completely ok whitout any incomplete set or parent missing instead there should be something wrong.
For example:
I take a little look inside my roms folder...... i see inside of this there's present some parents zip files. Little examples like "mk2r91.zip" "mkla1.zip" la2 and la3.zip and many other "Mortal Kombat X" (when x indicates 1 2 3 or 4) parents roms.
All this files apparently it's parents of respective mk mk2 mk3 and mk4.zip right ?

Before to download this 4 files first i have do a scan...... apparently no errors or missing appears on scan result. I open Mame and refresh my "Avaible" files. After scan complete the various MK parents roms not appears on list. To find out that I needed the four mkx.zip i need to manually "Audit" all parent zip files and only after this i have downloaded.... rebuilt it.... made another scan whit clrmp and made another refresh title on mame and only now all Mortal Kombat titles as correctly appears.

At this point the question it's it:
because if the zip files of all parents roms were present on the roms path but they were missing the original roms clrmamepro did not indicate it in the results of the scanner ??
It's a bug or it's need to activate some option on scanner ??

Sorry for my BAD english..... i see this section it's need to use english. If you think I can open a new thread using Italian it's better... let me know it :)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile

"Hide Fully-Missing set" hides -guess what- only fully missing sets. If you miss only one out of 10 roms of a set it's not fully missing and will be displayed.
The option is dangerous since even if you get a clean/empty result tree it means that you might miss sets....if you only have 1% of all sets you get a clean result while in reality you miss 99%. Each set, no matter if parent or clone, is listed separately. Clones will only list their clone files, not the parent ones since they are shared.

So if you got a clone set and it does not appear in the list since you got "all" its roms it only means that the clone is ok. To play the game you do need the parent...which might be completely missing.

To sum it up: There is not really a reason to turn on the "hide fully missing sets". Keep it disabled and scan. If you only collect a small set out of the big MAME collection, it's better to enable/disable sets in the set information dialog, there you can always automatically enable belonging parents/devices/bios sets, too.

DjDiabolik

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

"Hide Fully-Missing set" hides -guess what- only fully missing sets. If you miss only one out of 10 roms of a set it's not fully missing and will be displayed.
The option is dangerous since even if you get a clean/empty result tree it means that you might miss sets....if you only have 1% of all sets you get a clean result while in reality you miss 99%. Each set, no matter if parent or clone, is listed separately. Clones will only list their clone files, not the parent ones since they are shared.

So if you got a clone set and it does not appear in the list since you got "all" its roms it only means that the clone is ok. To play the game you do need the parent...which might be completely missing.

To sum it up: There is not really a reason to turn on the "hide fully missing sets". Keep it disabled and scan. If you only collect a small set out of the big MAME collection, it's better to enable/disable sets in the set information dialog, there you can always automatically enable belonging parents/devices/bios sets, too.
Let's see maybe if i have understand how it's works:
If i enable the "Hide Fully-Missing set" and do i scan i obtain an empty scan result but it is possible that mine zip roms collection contains some zip files that in them are missing some files that would be considered "Incomplete" set... right ?

At this point my ideal solution would be to:
- Do a full scan whit "Hide Fully-Missing set" option disabled (and this leads to a series of very long red crosses).
- And only then try to filter the zip files I don't have on my rompath

In this way, in theory, I should get a complete list of all my sets and find out which ones are actually incomplete or have some missing files inside it whether they are parent or original roms.... it's right ? Is it possible to get something like that ?

How i can obtain somethigs similar ? From "Set Information"
« Last Edit: 13 November 2019, 23:27 by DjDiabolik »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile

If you scan you can encounter 2 cases:

1) you got parts of a set (a set is a collection of roms/chds/samples, e.g. "pacman") where some files of the set are 'bad' (wrongly named, missing, bad checksum)

or

2) you don't have any file of the set (pacman is completely missing)

The hide completely missing set option would hide 2) but will show 1).

So in this case you would see only sets which are partly incorrect.

But:
This has nothing to do with playability. If you keep your sets split-merged you have parent sets and clone sets where the clones don't include the needed files from the parent. So if you got a clone you do need the parent, too (sometimes plus device sets plus bios sets). So if your scan result show no problems but you got the hide-fully-missing sets options enabled, you might still miss a parent....and you won't be able to run the game.

Again, there is no real reason to enable the hide-completly-missing sets option.
If you only have 10 sets out of 10000, then yes, you will get 9990 entries saying that you miss a set.
If you want to limit your scan to the sets you have, you go to set information, enable "the four incl. clones,parents,devices,bios" options and hit "avail sets".

DjDiabolik

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

Sorry for late answering.... I had a few days of commitment.
mmmmmmm..... in fact now that I think about it I was making some mistakes previously.

Ok.. i use split set.
Full scan result check if in my rom patch...... and show result:
- as you say if some check fails in a zip files (bad names, missing files, wrong crc or similar) it's be marked as "Bad" or "Incomplete"
- if check don't found a zip files it's be showed in result as red cross

it's exact right now ?
but if I have a zip files of a parent (whitout any issue) whitout the original zip that's it's not appears on "avaible" on mame after refresh but at same time clrmamepro will not show errors after a scan.

If i understand correctly.... for do a correctly check on my entire zip files i need to do:
- Do a complete scan whitout "hide-missing"
- And only after i need to do change on "Set Information"...

Only in this mode i thinks i can really check all my zip files and found if i have some parents zip whitout the original or other similar issue...

right ?

*EDIT After about 2 hours of test*
Problably i never understand how it's really works this scanner and it's "Set Information" :)
I Made some test:
1) Open Scanner... whitout do anythings i open Set Information
2) If i click on "Select All" on top bar i can read "40916/40916 Sets, 72/72 BIOS, 53/53 CHD Region".

At this point if i click on "New Scan" it's be start a full total scan. I wait the reach 100% and and infinite list appears on "Scan Result". An Infinite "red cross" list not easy to navigate.

At this point i reopened the "Set Information"... i enabled the 4 "incl." voices and click on "Avail. Sets". After doing this I can read "4322/40916 Sets, 63/72 BIOS, 53/53 CHD Region".

At this point i have some question:
- I have tryed to start a "New Scan". After reach 100% i have try to export the list of "Incomplete" Sets and nothing happens (I believe because in my set there are no roms with missing files) ?
- I take a look at this "Scan Result". I think the list now shows me all the parent roms that I don't have at all.... it's about 1000 titles :(

I still haven't figured out how I can possibly identify if in my rompath it's present again some orphan roms which therefore needs the "main" roms for obtain the games can correctly appears on "Available" list on mame....... i need to study better how all it's works.

« Last Edit: 20 November 2019, 07:15 by DjDiabolik »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.108 Chrome 78.0.3904.108
    • View Profile

Actually I think you think too much ;-)
You use split sets, fine, that's the default. If you already played around with too much settings, use a new profile.

Keep all default settings and do a new full scan. The scan results tree window will show what's wrong with your sets.
Completely missing sets are lsited with a folder icon with a red cross over it.
Incomplete sets are listed with a red cross only.

Now what can happen?

- your tree output is empty. Fine, you're ok (for the currently used settings)
- your tree contains only some fully missing and some partly missing sets. If they are fixable, turn on the fix options and rescan. If they are not fixable (cmpro can't magically create files out of nothing), find the files and add them (e.g. via the rebuilder)
- your tree shows 12839128391283 entries and you feel lost, well, then it depends what you want to achieve. You want to get them all? Have fun to hunt them down and add them. You only want to concentrate on some sets, then you might want to select just these sets. This can be done via set information.

You might want to seek help here: http://www.arcademania.eu/ or here https://digilander.libero.it/venturi1975/cmpro.html or here http://greenant.altervista.org/Guide/clrmamepro.htm

Regarding your questions:

Q: "as you say if some check fails in a zip files (bad names, missing files, wrong crc or similar) it's be marked as "Bad" or "Incomplete" f check don't found a zip files it's be showed in result as red cross it's exact right now ?"
A: See above: Completely missing have a folder/red cross icon, incomplete only have a red cross

Q: Only in this mode i thinks i can really check all my zip files and found if i have some parents zip whitout the original or other similar issue... right ?
A: See above: Use the default settings, do not use setinformation, do not use hide completely msising sets.

Q: I have tryed to start a "New Scan". After reach 100% i have try to export the list of "Incomplete" Sets and nothing happens (I believe because in my set there are no roms with missing files) ?
A: Export works fine. Export incomplete sets will work if you actually have incomplete sets listed (the red cross ones). Either export to clipboard or file. Similiar applies for completely missing ones

Q: I take a look at this "Scan Result". I think the list now shows me all the parent roms that I don't have at all.... it's about 1000 titles
A: Scan Resuls show ALL issues

DjDiabolik

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

mmmmmmm.. before that message i never touch anythings on Set Information. I use for many yearsa clrmamepro but I limited myself to a little understanding of the functioning of the rebuilder and that of the scanner but only now I have discovered something of the Set Information.

About other forums... it's all italian italian board. I'm already regged on ArcadeMania for example..... speaking about clrmamepro whit other italian members it's a good idea infact from the beginnigs i ask if i can open a thread on italian section here on same board :)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.108 Chrome 78.0.3904.108
    • View Profile

Yes if you like you can open a question in Italian.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 20 queries.

anything