EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I handle torrentzipped or torrent7zipped roms  (Read 6186 times)

Clutz450

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 77.0.3865.120 Chrome 77.0.3865.120
    • View Profile
How do I handle torrentzipped or torrent7zipped roms
« on: 27 October 2019, 18:04 »

I'm trying to use clrmamepro on an old Redump set of PS2 ROMs I found on an old USB harddrive using the latest PS2 Redump datfile.  Obviously it is finding issues that it needs to correct but I don't think it can because I believe the ROMs are torrentzipped.  And from what I remember from using this program in the past is that clrmamepro does not like torrentzipped or torrent7zipped roms.  So rather than me rebuilding the whole set, is there a way that I can just move out the ROMs that 100% match into another folder and then I can just do a rebuild on whatever ROMs are left over.  I hope I am explaining myself correctly and you understand what I am trying to do.  If not let me know and I'll try to send some pictures if needed. Thank you.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.70 Chrome 78.0.3904.70
    • View Profile
Re: How do I handle torrentzipped or torrent7zipped roms
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2019, 18:50 »

Settings -> Compressor -> 7z

You may want to add your custom commandline parameters there, however in most cases it's faster to simply let cmpro does its work and manually run a whatever batch postprocessing afterwards.

coccola

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 70.0 Firefox 70.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2019, 21:26 »

Torrentzipped zips are just like any regular zipped files, so clrmamepro will work fine.

The only differences are that torrentzipped zips have a comment with a hash which is used by torrentzip to skip rezipping zips that are already torrentzipped, and the timestamps of the files inside are standartized. None of these differences affect clrmamepro.

So (probably) any clrmamepro version will work fine witch such zips, there's no need to change any settings.

The same happens for torrent7zipped files.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2019, 21:27 by coccola »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2019, 21:37 »

Not fully correct. Sure, it's a zip which is read correctly by cmpro. Torrentzip was created to actually have consisten file hashes, otherwise you wouldn't be able to share them via a torrent network, i.e. the files need to be stored in one given order, one given compression ratio (if any at all), normalized file attributes and timestamps. All such things affect bytes in the zipfile and so the overall checksum.
Any fix/add/rebuild cmpro operation will change things like these. So if you use torrentzip in your setup, the program will most likely follow the rules and recreates the full archive over and over again for each change....which will end in a slow down.
....so one batch run afterwards is most likely better/faster.

On the other hand...torrentzip/7z/whatever only makes sense if you share the sets over the network...and then we talk about copyrights....

Clutz450

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 77.0.3865.116 Chrome 77.0.3865.116
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2019, 00:07 »

My apologies if again I wasnt clear in getting my point across.  I was saying that some of my games I have are torrentzipped but that I do not care about that going forward.  I do not intend to torrentzip them at all going forward.  But because they are torrentzipped, when I run my scan on them they are finding issues with my games like wrong name, wrong case, and unneeded files, but clrmamepro is unable to change the names or remove the files from inside the zip files.  I don't remember the reason why but I remember reading somewhere long ago that the reason why it can't make those changes to those zips is because they were torrentzipped. 

So anyway, I run the scan, it finds issues but cannot fix them, and leaves those files in my rom directory untouched.  I was wondering if there was a way that I could automatically have those unfixable roms pulled out so that i could rebuild them back in later.  I couldn't figure it out so what I did was just manually pulled out the bad roms myself since there really weren't that many.  Then I unzipped those games and rebuilt them into my rom directory using the .zip compression option. 

I'm not sure if there was an easier way for me to accomplish what I was trying to do from within clrmamepro but I got it figured out manually and everything matches now.  Thanks again for you help.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2019, 00:11 by Clutz450 »

coccola

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 70.0 Firefox 70.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2019, 05:39 »

Glad you fixed it... for now. I think fixing files manually is a pain and it isn't feasible when you have many files, you really should try to find out what happened. Maybe your files have the read-only attribute enabled, that's why they can't be fixed.

I forgot to say, for zips you don't have another alternative, you have to run TorrentZip after clrmamepro processed everything, but for torrent7zipped 7z files, you can use the settings as Roman said, but it takes long to recompress when there's any file that was added or changed, as he said. Running the Torrent7zip application after the 7z files were created would be better. My suggestion is: don't use 7z files, stay with zip. Some people prefer 7z because it compresses more -- and it's right most times -- but the time it takes to compress isn't worth it when you check the amount of hard disk space you save.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2019, 07:52 »

Actually it's not necessarily a problem with torrent7z when a set is not fixable. When talking about 7z in general you might refer to solid packed archives which simply require additional commandline parameters to work correctly.
When cmpro tries to add/rename/delete a file in a 7z file  it uses the commandline parameters which you can see in the settings->compressor->7z dialog. They are set to a default value for non solid archives. If the archive you're working on is a solid compressed one, the operations will most likely fail. So such options need to be adjusted.

Even if solid archives give you a bit more overall compression ratio, don't  forget that operations on them take longer (simply due to the fact that the whole archive needs to be repacked over and over again).

Clutz450

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2019, 14:42 »

Sorry for my month later reply.  I tend to have moments where I'm really into this stuff and then fall out for a while while I am really into something else.  So I'm back into it again and was going over everything again and I realized I made a mistake when I said my games were torrentzipped.  They were actually torrent7zipped.  So when you started talking about solid archives that all makes sense now.  And if I was reading everything else correctly, were you saying that torrentzip doesn't have this issue?  Or is torrentzip also a solid archive and clrmamepro will not work right unless commandline parameters are changed?  As I said, I really don't care if they are torrentzipped or torrent7zipped anymore but just find this stuff interesting. 

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.108 Chrome 78.0.3904.108
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2019, 16:15 »

Standard zip does not support solid archives...and I guess torrentzip follows that rule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.

anything