EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scan producing all bad rom results  (Read 3273 times)

skylinekiller

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 76.0.3809.100 Chrome 76.0.3809.100
    • View Profile
Scan producing all bad rom results
« on: 23 August 2019, 23:30 »

I have tried to use CLRMamePro to compile a list of the latest .212 Split rom, but I keep getting an error when running a check. I am using .212 Split from PD. The end goal is to find out What CHDs are working so I can grab them, and I was told there are a few CHDs that are games by themselves and I would like those too. I'm just trying to keep a personal database of my own to figure out what I need to grab or delete in future updates.   They give similar errors like "Centipede (bootleg, set 1) [folder: centipdb - parent: centiped - size: 14kb]
wrong placed file: K:\Emulators\MAME\roms\centipdb\136001-211.f7 (move to parent: centiped)
wrong placed file: K:\Emulators\MAME\roms\centipdb\136001-212.hj7 (move to parent: centiped)
wrong placed file: K:\Emulators\MAME\roms\centipdb\136001-213.p4 (move to parent: centiped)"
This is a brand new set obtained from PD so I know the files are good
« Last Edit: 23 August 2019, 23:36 by skylinekiller »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Scan producing all bad rom results
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2019, 05:45 »

"This is a brand new set obtained from PD so I know the files are good"
lol....ok....yeah right...the internet is always right...

"wrong placed file: K:\Emulators\MAME\roms\centipdb\136001-211.f7 (move to parent: centiped)"
The message simply means that there is a file (136001-211.f7) inside a clone set (centipdb) which in reality belongs to the parent (centiped), so you should place it there and not in the clone. Strict splitting is needed.

Since there are several parent/clone rules which are applied heavily depending on the used settings (e.g. parsing of merge tags) and depending on the used datfile (are they correctly defined or not).

So...you should send me the used datfile and add a screenshot of the profiler settings.

skylinekiller

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2019, 07:43 »

I didn't use a dat file, I simply followed the instructions herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdrJ8J3Fr4
The exact set I am using is "MAME 0.212 ROMs (non-merged)"
« Last Edit: 24 August 2019, 07:46 by skylinekiller »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2019, 08:22 »

well...there you got your answer: "The exact set I am using is "MAME 0.212 ROMs (non-merged)"

They are "NOT MERGED" and you scan them as split merged. So your sets contain lots of obsolete files since they are stored not merged, meaning it doubles files which are part of the parent in each clone...pretty much waste of diskspace.

So the warnings about "wrong placed file: ... (move to parent: ...)" are absolutely correct... in split merged mode parent sets contain the parent files and the clones only hold the clone ones.

So, learn a bit more about the different storing and merging methods. I didn't check the youtube link, but usually reading a tutorial (https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/#docs) is better.

So to sum it up: the messages are correct

skylinekiller

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2019, 11:10 »

Ok, thank you. I went there, but as the directions say, it's under complete re-write and not available.  I decided to use the Non-Merged as I heard it was better for Arcades systems and Launchbox.  At least that's what the mame site said.  Unless I missed it, I would think a list of CHDs and MAME roms that are working, not working, and CHDs required would be available each Mame release.

That's pretty much all I want to do with CLRMamePro.  I also heard some CHDs are games by themselves so I would like to know which ones those are if they are playable.  I will re-run that CLRMamePro test and see

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2019, 13:54 »

- The link points to tutorials which are not under rewrite.
- Better for Arcade systems and launchboxes...erm..no..why should they? Maybe some does not support merging...but since merging is in MAME since 20 years every emulator based on it should support it.
- I doubt that the offical MAME site says that non merged sets are best to use for launchboxes (simply because they don't care about or like such things)
- MAME's list contains all sets, working or not...it's not MAME's purpose to add only completly working sets
- clrmamepro is fine to audit/update your sets
- chds are not games by themselves. CHD (Compressed Hunk Of Data) is just a container for binary data or a dumped hd, floppy, dvd, cd, laserdisk etc etc..
- MAME's -listxml output has no 100% perfect flag for "working". It contains driver status information (good|imperfect|preliminary)

skylinekiller

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2019, 20:36 »

The below came from Romset documentation on PD.  I understand what you are saying, maybe I will go with the Merged set next time.  So I guess what I heard about a few CHDs being games by themselves are false.  If I am understanding you correctly, there will always be a rom file and a CHD, but never just a CHD for one particular game.  Is that about right?

The English Tutroial link is not working http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html
non-merged:

A non-merged set is one that contains absolutely everything necessary for a given game to run in one ZIP file.

Remark: Even though Non-Merged games -normally- DO NOT include BIOS or DEVICE files within the game, in the case of the PD non-merged set we DO include these within the game, which ensures that every single game can be copied and ran as individual game without the need of any extra files. This makes a set like this ideal for splitting up on a per-game-basis.

The non-merged set is ideal for those people that work on Arcade PCBs as ALL roms/devices/bios files are contained within the game. This set is also great for those that for instance create their own arcade cabinets and want to copy only very specific games to their PC/Rapsberry/Other, the game.zip file contain all the files needed, no more searching for the dependent parent files, BIOS files, device files - just copy galaga.zip and you are set.

Pick individual games from this set if you are not intending to download a complete ROM set.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2019, 21:05 by skylinekiller »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2019, 09:21 »

Thanks for letting me know about the dead link. Will check with the author if it's available somewhere.
"there will always be a rom file and a CHD, but never just a CHD for one particular game."
erm.....not exactly.....again....a chd is simply a compressed container for a binary image (which can be anything from a floppy to a laserdisk etc). It depends on the system. As ROM file you usually take a dump of an IC based on the boards of the machine. ICs holding gfx, sound data and program code, etc.

There are some set definitions in MAME which only consist of a CHD...but in reality the underlying system is represented by a bios set, too, which is a rom dump.

So...anyway, it actually does not actually matter. Best thing is to go with this:

A set is a collection of files which represent the (usually) game. A set includes none, one or more of rom files, sample files, chd files (but at least one of them).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.

anything
anything