EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Systems by hand and a few questions  (Read 2768 times)

fent

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 75.0.3770.142 Chrome 75.0.3770.142
    • View Profile
Creating Systems by hand and a few questions
« on: 27 July 2019, 14:28 »

Hello,
   I've been trying to figure out if there is an alternative method for creating "System Paths" without having to use the gui.  I have been looking into using mame.exe to generate the dat file, and looking at the "System Paths" for each bios etc... I've come across a few "issues" if you will. (clrmamepro is working fine.)

1.  I'm kinda lazy and don't want to click through setting the paths for the "Systems" screen.
2. I can't seem to find a way to edit / manually enter the paths.
3. I'm kinda confused on how / where to rebuild the mame sets to (folder structure) so mame sees everything as it likes.
4. the message that pops up is saying  "rom will be named diferently if using full merge mode", I'm not sure what to do with these ( thus far i've clicked ok to all)
5.  For some reason when i drag and drop the FbAlpha roms from the git page they never show up ...
6.  Using the prestring for bios "%b\" (i hope i'm using this right) puts some files in the folder but leaves copies of them in the build folder.  (EX:  mameRom\RomBiosSet\roms (they appear here) and they also appear in mameRom\)
Is this possible? 

thank you for making a fantastic piece of software.  I appreciate any help that may be out there. :)
« Last Edit: 27 July 2019, 14:50 by fent »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 75.0.3770.142 Chrome 75.0.3770.142
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Systems by hand and a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2019, 15:40 »

Hi,

so quick answers only since I'm nearly off for a while due to holidays...but here we go:

1) as long as you already got sets in already have folders (setup as rompaths), the systems -> auto assign button will assign them fine. If not, well, you need to find a way to generate the folders, add them as rompaths (simply drag'n drop in settings) and assign them as system.
General question is if you really need to use system default paths at all. If you want to split up your sets by bios, yes, ok fine..then you can set them up. If you use the MAME + software list mode, then too..however it's a pain the ass to use this mode....you should prefer single profiles per software lists.

2) You need to double-click the last column in systems dialog to edit/add the path (or as mentioned before use the auto assign button to map rompaths)

3) The rebuilder is an "adder". It takes anything from the given source, matches the checksums against the database and recreates each matching instance in the destination. So you can use it to add new sets to a collection...or change one emulators collection to another emulator's one...etc...So...you decide where to rebuild the files to. But you need to understand what the rebuilder is....a file based check and create/add mechanism...not a "my destination will have complete sets" magic tool.

4) Such a message appears if the database got some problems regarding identically named roms while the binary content differs within a parent clone relation. If you would simply merge them, one file would overwrite the other (due to the same name). But they do differ. So that's why cmpro renames one of the files, so you don't loose any.

5) "Never show up" ...well..what do you think you do with drag'n drop? The scanner can be setup that drag'n drop runs a rebuild operation. And as mentioned, the rebuilder takes the input , matches the data against the database and when it find matches it creates the files in the given destination where it uses the right names. If nothing is created, nothing is matched.

6) prestring...so again rebuilder. Yes, the rebuilder copies files (when matching is found). Only if you enable the remove rebuilt source option, they will be moved. And of course identical roms maybe used in different systems. So if BIOS A / Set AA uses a rom with checksum 0x12345678 adn BIOS B / Set BB uses the same one, both instances will be created...one in B and one in A.

and now.....holiday
« Last Edit: 27 July 2019, 15:41 by Roman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 20 queries.