EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shared network folders  (Read 4514 times)

SysopGrace

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.13.1 Mac OS X 10.13.1
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0.1 Safari 11.0.1
    • View Profile
Shared network folders
« on: 11 November 2017, 18:09 »

I have my roms on another system and I have mapped them to the drive letter Z - I can access them through Explorer.exe but clrmamepro does not list/address the mapped network drive.

Is there a way to get my network drive to show up in clrmamepro?
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 18:10 by SysopGrace »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 62.0.3202.89 Chrome 62.0.3202.89
    • View Profile
Re: Shared network folders
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2017, 13:48 »

hmm...no problems here.....however I used an UNC path (\\fileserverX\shareY\folderZ)...and haven't assigned a network letter for it....I will do later today...

can you give me some more details...like what is cmpro complaining about, where did you put cmpro, how do you start it (as admin, with additional "run as admin" etc)...

SysopGrace

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2017, 16:45 »

Well, clrmamepro is in the program files folder. its run as admin (with a prompt each time). it works fine if I copy the roms to the local system.

I may try your way of a UNC path - currently I'm trying to just specify folders in the SETTINGS window, but I have also tried it in the rebuild window and it just does NOT show the Z:\ drive at all

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2017, 16:52 »

I've just tried it with a mapped drive letter, works fine, too..

So....since cmpro simply uses basic runtime file routines it's more a question of access rights. Since you put the cmpro installation into a UAC protected folder you might run into issues...

So...try to move cmpro into a non uac folder....like E:\cmpro, c:\work\cmpro whatever...but not program files....
and run it normally....no prompt, no issues ;-)

SysopGrace

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2017, 16:53 »

hmmm, I never considered that
so I will wipe it off first completely and then run an install to a clrmamepro directory in My Documents and try it from there?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2017, 16:58 »

"my documents" is also protected ;-)

Actually I just tried a "run as admin" installation in an uac folder and adding an UNC path worked fine. A mapped driver letter was not visible though and was not accepted when added manually. So it's clearly connected to the run type...

So for now you can go with UNC paths......and when I find a little time I will check why mapped letters are not shown (they don't appear in the folder dialog either when running in a protected folder as admin)
« Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 17:00 by Roman »

SysopGrace

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2017, 17:06 »

1 - I just ran it as admin from the program files directory and gave it a UNC path (it works!!!!)
2 - Copied the program directory out to the root C:\ (which is not protected at all) and ran clrmamepro as a "regular" user and it works great! I can see Z:\ now! - Only problem is I will have to do a full uninstall/reinstall as the program still points back to the program files folder for things such as the backup/download folders (which I don't appear to use...) and it is throwing some error messages as a result. Not a huge deal at all though!

Thank you for your assistance with my issue Roman. What is your favourite charity by the way?

To be clear: while I typically go with the installer's default installation location, since that would require me to run with the UAC/admin and would omit the ability to see my Z:\ drive, I will go against the default and install it to C:\clrmamepro or whatever - this has the added benefit of never needing to run the app as an admin

Last addendum: I have never been in this community before this week but I am a long time user of clrmamepro, I'm not sure if you're the one to speak to about such as thing but perhaps the installer's default install location should be amended...
« Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 17:09 by SysopGrace »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.

anything