EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do I get an error when rebuilding and...version ?  (Read 3463 times)

Mpegforever

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
    • View Profile
Why do I get an error when rebuilding and...version ?
« on: 18 November 2016, 22:14 »

Hi. Please tell me if I get this error because I don't know the theory well...let me explain..thanks for the help.
I have a full 0.14x (something) romset (I recall from 4/5 years ago). Now I downloaded MAME64 0.179b. I run profiler and use this new exe to extract the list of games.
I also have the 0.151 romset which looks full but I am not sure. So I'd like to rebuild all the news from 0.151 folder into the "old" 0.14x romset. When rebuilder runs, every 10/20 seconds max I have a popup saying there is an error adding a file of a rom in a certain zip file and it asks me if I want to interrupt the process. Why ?

Questions:
- Is it correct to use 0.179b MAME64 exe ?
- Else, where is the 0.179b DAT file ? I could not find it
- What is best procedure to reach a "good" romset from my 0.14x to the latest version ?
- Stupid question... if latest MAME64 is 0.179 does that mean that it is possible to achieve today a full 0.179 romset ? Or not ?

Thanks, as you see I miss some theory here but I will try to read around also.
Grazie, ciao
   Alex

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I get an error when rebuilding and...version ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2016, 07:10 »

Well...if it can't add a file to an existing (or creating a new archive) something is wrong there. The existing archive might be corrupt somehow, disk might be full etc etc...or other background tasks are locking the files during access (weird virusscanners etc...)...would be interesting to see the files. If you like you can send me the files cmpro is moaning about.

- yes it's right to use the mame binary to get the data from, datfiles are not needed
- procedure: load the data from the latest MAME binary, run a full scan with all check options enabled (be sure you got your prefered merge mode set). After that you should end with a) missing files (the ones which have been added/replaced since your last full collection) and b) not fixable problems (like bad checksums etc....but they are rare). Then find the missing stuff and add them, preferable via the rebuilder (rebuilder destination points to your rompaths)
- all .179 files are available (not counting no-dump flagged files of course)

Mpegforever

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2016, 07:31 »

Thanks Roman for the info.
So, since these errors from rebuilder were hundreds (too many) and I could not stay up all night to press "no", I  set a fresh new folder for rom destinations in rebuilder. So I created a whole new set of files using the 0.14x and 0.151 sources (add-on). I'm now scanning(+fixing) this new directory. WIll try  to rebuild later and will see.
Anything wrong with my way to proceed here ?
Grazie !

Mpegforever

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2016, 14:35 »

And it worked that way. I took the newly created folder and used it later as a regular "roms" folder. I rebuilded using ad add-path a 0.161 and it worked with no more errors.
Cool, thanks for the help. It must have been a strange windows sharing permissions issue (on media center there is linux)...oh well, it's fixed.
Ciao, grazie

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2016, 16:43 »

you're welcome
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.