EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 tiny issues  (Read 4967 times)

izius

• Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 38.0 Firefox 38.0
    • View Profile
3 tiny issues
« on: 13 September 2015, 11:03 »

I finally got the time to scan my whole romset with the latest version of CMP.
All is OK now, but I have some tiny issues to report.

My settings: Merged zip sets, very few CHDs and some drivers disabled (naomi.c and a few others not working).

1) Some CHDs games gave missing ROMs error (see image below).

I actually had all the zipped sets (without the CHD) for each game, so I had no clue at first. Eventually, I figured out those were subfolders in the rompath and deleted them, after moving ALL the CHDs subfolders out, in order to get a hint from the scanner :).

I understand roms in subfolders are allowed (no idea who actually use uncompressed roms), but I in the Profile, under the Compressor settings, 'Mark useless folder struct as unneeded (Scanner only)' was checked. Maybe CMP should have warned about those folders?

2) Some clone CHDs in Bios based sets gave different errors. If the folder wasn't created, gave a missing set error; and if existed, it gave a wrong merged rom set error (see image below)

In the end I checked 'Allow CHDs in ROMPath root', which solved my issue, but I think it's a workaround. Was there a better solution?

3) CMP stores the settings for my enabled/disabled drivers, but each time the cachefiles are removed, those settings gets inverted. So I enter 'Set Information' in the scanner and re-invert them. Is there a way to remember the settings correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • View Profile
Re: 3 tiny issues
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2015, 20:04 »

Regarding 1) So I get this right you had an archive romset, chds in rompath subfolders and again some romfiles within subfolders?

Cmpro gives warnings if you do have folders and an archive set within your rompaths...but not for sets which do use chds (since they are normally stored IN a subfolder). I may enhance the check to also warn if you store something else than chd files in there...

2) Enabling 'Allow CHDs in ROMPath root' is NO option to solve this. Of course you get warnings  since you're using full merged sets...then you don't need clone sets (or in this case folders for chds). Actually you shouldn't get missing warnings in the first place (if you actually have the chds stored correctly in the parent set). Hard to say why it gives warnings for you. Could be because you limit your set selection (so you may try to enabled all sets)....you can also send me your belonging *.cmp file from cmpro's settings folder and your cmpro.ini...and I can do some checks.

3) The set selection should not change or reset if you clean the cache of a profile. The settings are stored within the profile not the cache and are reapplied after loading the new data. The "invert" button however is a button action and that's not stored. So if you preselected some sets with e.g. regular expressions or variable use in "select sets" and hit invert, only the "select sets" selection is applied after profile load

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2015, 16:23 »

wasn't able to reproduce any of the issues yet...so would be great if you can send me your configuration.

- datfile (if used...most likely for MAME you had a direct exe-based import, so let me know which version you used.)
- cmpro.ini from cmpro's root directory
- belonging *.cmp file from cmpro's settings folder

izius

• Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2015, 21:18 »

Before going further, I must clarify that I have only 19 CHDs in total, and I keep CHD scanning disabled. This is probably why I have issue #2, since I lack all those listed clone CHDs, and also the originals :).
However, I don't mind using 'Allow CHDs in Rompath root', since I can easily manage such a limited CHD selection by hand, and use Audit all sets inside MAMEUIFX32, once for each new version, to see if they're still good or not.

As for issue #1, I created those folders in the past to make the scanner happy, and avoid any missing set error. I think those games listed were CHD-only some versions ago, then changed to have at least a rom in their set. For example, p9112 was like that until 0.157, when it had the nvram added.
No idea why the scanner suddenly gave errors on those romsets because of the empty folders, it was OK until very recently. Maybe I had some wrong settings in the past, or changed a few trying to solve #2...

As for #3, you're right, I used an expression to select the sets I wanted to exclude, then applied it and inverted. The expression is the following:
Code: [Select]
%s=astropc.c; %s=cv1k.c; %s=gamtor.c; %s=hikaru.c; %s=namcos10.c; %s=naomi.c; %s=nexus3d.c; %s=segasp.c; %s=triforce.cNow I tried to do the opposite selection, using the 'logical NOT' flag, but I can't seem to get it working with 2 or more entries. Not sure if it's the expected behaviour or I didn't understand the expression syntax correctly.

In any case, I'm attaching my configuration.

Thanks for investigating.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2015, 21:31 by izius »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2015, 06:54 »

Thanks for the great feedback...I will study it in detail tonight

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.93 Chrome 45.0.2454.93
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2015, 18:28 »

Regarding 3), well as mentioned, the "invert" button click is more an action than a state, i.e. it simply runs through the list and toggles the current state of the checkbox. So this click action is not recorded and yes, you'd have to reapply it after the database gets updated.

The logical not flag however is stored but the logical not is applied on each single selection. So it's not (%s=astropc.c) and then not( %s=cv1k.c) (which reenables some of the other selections). You see the problem...it's not what you'd expect on the first view...

So I now added a checkbox in setinformation "initial invert" which does what you need....

Regarding 2) The listed sets are chd-only sets. A set is a collection of roms and/or samples and/or chds. So such sets only consist of a chd. If you don't have the chd, you don't have the set. The SET check complains about missing sets if you don't have the chd (it's not the CHD check...the chd check checks the chd files themselves, not the set container). If you try to fool cmpro by adding folders it (as you know) interfears with full merging checks. I wonder a bit why "Allow CHDs in Rompath root" seems to fool cmpro somehow...but as mentioned, you should not turn it on. Better simply disable the sets (or hide fully missing sets from the output)
So...2) is an intented and correct behaviour.

(looking into 1) as soon as I find some time)
« Last Edit: 16 September 2015, 19:35 by Roman »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.93 Chrome 45.0.2454.93
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2015, 19:43 »

ok....I found out why "allow chds on root" helped you to fool cmpro (so the games are not listed as missing). It's a somehow intented sideeffect...but again, the sets are listed as missing because they are chd-only sets and if you miss the chds, you miss the set..blablablaba...
You shouldn't use the allow chds on root switch for fooling cmpro...it's really only a sideeffect...better disable such sets, or get the chds...or hide fully missing sets (Scanner Tree Window ->context menu View)

Regarding 1) also found out what happened here. There is an optimization where cmpro does not look into folders anymore if it finds an archive for the roms. That's the reason why it didn't pick up your unpacked files (which was indeed needed and not present in the archive). Normally cmpro also warns about "folder and archive found" constellations...but not in the case of sets with chds....
So I will update this warning to double-check sets with chds for non-chd files....

Thanks again for your reports

updated...I've added the check now....

guess a new version will be available at the end of the week/weekend
« Last Edit: 17 September 2015, 20:54 by Roman »

izius

• Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2015, 21:03 »

Great work, Roman. Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 20 queries.

anything
anything