EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Scan: titles/flyers!!  (Read 7623 times)

MountainMan1974

• Operating System:
  • Windows Server Home/Server 2003 Windows Server Home/Server 2003
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
Help with Scan: titles/flyers!!
« on: 30 May 2012, 19:15 »

Hi!
I´m not new to mame and cmpro but I´ve encountered some strange problems recently:
I´ve updated my flyers and titles files with the help of progetto-snaps to version 0.146.
I´m also using the 0.146 datfiles but first cmpro creates a folder within the folder titles and whenever I try to do a scan (only using the options name, unneeded and missing) it scans for hours withou a result and whenever I try to stop the process the whole program chrashes  ???.
Also mame only displays the titles if NOT placed in titles/titles but only in the folder \titles.
Same happens if I try to zip the files - strange.
With the flyer-files (unzipped, because it´s about 4-5 gb!) it worked but cmpro also creates a folder named flyers and mame doesn´t display the pictures. So I copied the files into \flyers alone - and mame has no propblem at all. But if I want to do a scan again, cmpro tells me, that there is no correct set in \flyers (ROM-path in settings is set to \mamui64\flyers\)
Can you give me some directions in what to do? All my other updates are working properly (artwork, pcb, control p., etc.) using the 0.146 dat-files.
By the way - thanks for your tool, Roman, mame would be impossible to handle with all the files without cmpro64! :)

Thank you very much and I hope it doesn´t sound too confusing!
« Last Edit: 30 May 2012, 19:19 by MountainMan1974 »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 19.0.1084.52 Chrome 19.0.1084.52
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Scan: titles/flyers!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 19:50 »

Regarding the speed problems:
turn off scanner's fix missing and scanner advanced's "deeper check for fixable missing files" and "additionally test sha1/md5 for matches".

Regarding accessibility of the png files for your fav mame frontend, well, you need to test what works for you. The dats all have 1 set listed with some thousand pngs in it...This refers to a storing mechanism of: rompath\setname\png file 1....png file 12312312 for decompressed sets or rompath\setname.zip (.rar/.7z) for compressed sets. That's for checking within cmpro. No idea where your frontend looks for the files....good ones should be able to find them in the archive or as decompressed ones (most likely you need to point to the setname parent folder).

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 20:03 »

so again, the cmpro scanning/storing mechanism are:

rompath\setname\file 1 ... file n for decompressed sets
rompath\setname.zip (.rar/.7z) for compressed sets where the archive holds file 1 .. file n

So if the datfile says the one and only set is called "flyers", then you might end up with something like:

d:\temp\flyers\flyers\005.png
where d:\temp\flyers is the rompath (setup in cmpro) and the 2nd "flyers" folder is the setname

Frontend most likey points to the rompath as well and should be able to check compressed or decompressed artwork.

Finally a side remark,  compressing flyers will end up with > 4GB, so standard zip will not work.

MountainMan1974

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 20:37 »

Thank you very much for your fast reply, Roman :)!
I understood your explanation regarding the speed-issue and I will try to work with the settings as you suggested.
By the way I´m using MameUI64 and it worked well for me. As I mentioned cmpro and mameui64 had no problems with the sets and dats (progetto-snaps) of cp, pcb, marquees, cabinets etc. only with flyers and titles - altough they are containing are a lot of files/large ones (uncompressed because of hi-res-flyers)!
I´m still not sure how get cmpro/dat and mame to recognize the sets in the same folder as mameui64 doesn´t look for .png´s in, let´s say, mameui64\flyer\flyer\005.png but only in mameui64\flyer\005.png.

Sure the solution will be simple but right now it´s interesting to figure it out... ;)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 20:39 »

most likely because mameui is not an option as a frontend anymore.....check out more modern ones.

Regarding the speed, well, the problem is that each time a file is missing, the mentioned checks scan all files in the set itself to find a matching checksum....this of course takes very long. I'm working on an optimized way for that which should be in the next version (approx. in 2 weeks) and which will be way faster.

MountainMan1974

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 9.0 MS Internet Explorer 9.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 21:07 »

That makes perfectly sense now. I will have a look for a newer front-end (can you suggest one that works similar to mameui? IV/Play maybe?), although using mameui for years this will be quite a change ::).
As for the speed issue: Thanks for working on that, too. Years ago I would have never thought that this project will take up so much space on my hard-disk. With all these artwork-files (not talking about chd!!) it´s more and more like a museum with a lot of fond memories ;).

Thanks for your help, Roman!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 19 queries.

anything