EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Merge Mode  (Read 1950 times)

john iv

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 122.0.0.0 Chrome 122.0.0.0
    • View Profile
Full Merge Mode
« on: 27 February 2024, 00:19 »

Hi Roman, troubleshooting all the CHD delta stuff and unavailables after audit recently, I switched from my long standing 'Normal Mode' to 'Hash Collision Name' for the Full Merge Mode to see if that would help on some rebuilds.  What's the difference and is it rare to use that mode vs 'Normal' or should I?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Full Merge Mode
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2024, 07:01 »

The only difference is that (when hash collision name is turned on) all rom files (when using full merged sets) are stored in archive subfolders (named after the clones).
The parent files are on root level, the clones separated in subfolders.
So your puckman.zip holds the puckman rom files in its root...plus a folder for each clone (which then contain the belonging clone files).

If turned off, this will automatically only be used in cases where real hash collisions (identical name/different hashes within a parent/clone relationship) appear. So overwriting is prevented.
Yep, the naming of this option might be a bit misleading. You can define the storage method (subfolder etc) in Profiler Options by the way....

By the way, this storing mode does not work for decompressed sets, since MAME's loader, which looks for hashes, doesn't walk into subfolders.

The new rebuilder and new scanner use this storing method by default (actually there is no option to switch) for merge and standalone mode.

john iv

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Full Merge Mode
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2024, 17:21 »

Thanks for the info; I like this storage technique much more, w/ dedicated subdirectories.  Very tidy. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 20 queries.

anything
anything