EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick questions  (Read 3176 times)

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 102.0 Firefox 102.0
    • View Profile
Quick questions
« on: 01 July 2022, 19:24 »

Hi Roman,

A few (hopefully quick) questions for you regarding bulk-scanning software sets:

1. Pop-up messages appear for specific sets such as "Can't merge set due to equal names for different hashes.  Clone files will be name differently if full merge mode is used." The "OK to all" option works for that set but the same message will appear for other sets that may exhibit the same issue.  Is there a way to accept these kinds of messages automatically before scanning, and have such issues appear in a summary report when the bulk operation completes?

2. In Linux/WINE, the CMpro scanning window runs in the foreground, so when scanning for a new set begins, the window appears above any other applications that may be running at that time.  How can you configure it to only run in the background so this can be avoided?

Thanks!

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 103.0.5060.53 Chrome 103.0.5060.53
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2022, 05:38 »

1. if you set cmpro.ini Misc_DisplayLIErrors = 0 ,then you shouldn't get ANY messages during reading datfiles....not really what you want but maybe a workaround

2. you may try to set cmpro.ini Adv_WindowToFront = off, but I think this was only for bringing the window to top when scan/rebuild is finished

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 102.0 Firefox 102.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2022, 20:57 »

Thanks, Roman.

1. I do need to be aware of error messages in general, so an "all-or-nothing" solution wouldn't really work - unless there's a way to present them in a report? If you do have spare cycles to implement something at some point though, I'd be happy to help you test it.

2. I wasn't aware of this setting but I tested it and you're right, it doesn't seem to inhibit pop-ups in the foreground when transitioning from set to set.  Again though, happy to test anything you may have time to come up with.  There may also be a more global Linux/WINE setting as well, though I couldn't find anything after a bit of research.  Perhaps others may know of a way though.

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 110.0 Firefox 110.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2023, 21:24 »

Hi Roman, just following up with you on this.

1. If I set Misc_DisplayLIErrors = 0, can I still see these "can't merge set" issues in a report presented when scanning completes?  Also, I'll note that I have per-profile merge options on in the batch mode, though I'd prefer non-merged sets anyway, so the issue itself should not be relevant to me as I understand it.

2. Any other ideas on inhibiting cmpro windows from hitting foreground while scanning?

Thanks.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 110.0.0.0 Chrome 110.0.0.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2023, 12:23 »

Misc_DisplayLIErrors = 0 disables nearly all warnings during reading in a datfile, I guess fatal problems will be still shown.
When "Can't merge" messages are not shown, such sets will be automatically transformed to not-parent-clone-sets, so actually you won't see any warning later on and they are handled as stand alone sets.

in cmpro.ini there's an option "Adv_WindowToFront = on" which may solve your problem when you set it to off before starting cmpro....but actually I can't remember...that stuff is too old ;-)

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2023, 05:13 »

Thanks as always, Roman.  My main concern is that if I ignore messages with Misc_DisplayLIErrors = 0, I'll miss something important and not know that my sets have issues that should be fixed.  So again I'm curious if there's any way to know of any "can't merge set" and other major or minor issues that are encountered during the scan, such as a report that displays when the scan concludes.  Is there such a thing?

You mentioned "Adv_WindowToFront = on" as an option earlier, but as I mentioned, it didn't really do anything.  It might be a WINE issue then, I'm not sure.  I was just wondering if you had any other suggestions beyond that.  If I could ignore errors though, then I just could scan sets when I'm not around, and then this wouldn't really be much of an issue anyway. :)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2023, 09:43 »

There is no log or report if you turn off the parsing messages....in the past decade I don't think there was anything really bad though ;-)
Regarding window to front...oops sorry...didn't see that it was already part of an earlier post....unfortunately I don't think I will look into that soon. Real life takes a lot of my time at the moment and when I've got time I only look into the new rebuilder tool....which doesn't have windows to pop up ;-)

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2023, 21:14 »

Thanks again, Roman.

> There is no log or report if you turn off the parsing messages....in the past decade I don't think there was anything really bad though ;-)

I guess you're saying that it's safe to turn off the parsing messages as they aren't going to indicate any real issues with the sets I'm scanning?  In that case I wonder if you might consider removing the parsing message feature in future cmpro releases, or at least moving the messages to a less intrusive post-scan report?  Even if that's something you could do I wouldn't expect anything soon given RL and other priorities as you mentioned. :)

The new rebuilder tool sounds interesting!

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2023, 08:05 »

I don't think I will touch clrmamepro anymore unless there are some real big issues with upcoming MAME releases.

The new rebuilder

(https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/binaries/readme.html, https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/binaries/rebuilder_v003.zip)

has a modern core and is way way way easier to maintain and of course it's just a start, a scanner should follow of course.

Shoegazer

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2023, 22:41 »

Thanks, Roman.  As much as I'd love that feature I understand your position.  Perhaps your new project will eventually incorporate it, or even render the need obsolete.

Speaking of which, quite interesting reading about Rebuilder and its cool benefits like full -listsoftware scanning!  Very nice to hear about the potential for open source too, I hope that may give rise to a native Linux version someday. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.

anything