EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Archive support for RVZ and CHD formats.  (Read 2432 times)

Fugus

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 106.0 Firefox 106.0
    • View Profile

First off, would like to thank the authors of ClrMamePro, works great. Just wanted to suggest a feature that would help loads if you do not mind.

The ability to treat RVZ and CHD files the same way it treats .zip, .7z, and .rar files at least for the dat files that don't already have CHD files in them like Mame does. I understand that it supports CHD files if the dat actually explicitly mentions them, but not what I am describing.

Good examples:
7-zip settings: Level Ultra / Method LZMA2 / Dictionary 192MB / Word Size 273
RVZ settings: Block Size 128KiB / Compression Zstandard (recommended) / Compression Level 5 / Preserve Junk Data

Gamecube (682 files)
ISO 927GB (Usable but huge)
7z 672GB (255GB smaller but completely unusable unless decompressed)
rvz 524GB (403GB smaller but completely usable for emulation and can be extracted to burn)

Nintendo Wii (1,376 files)
ISO 5.92TB (Usable but huge)
Zip 5.78GB (Slightly smaller but unusable unless decompressed)
RVZ 2.01TB (Massively smaller and usable for emulation).

Playstation (2000 files)
Bin/Cue 890GB (Usable but huge)
7z 510GB (380GB smaller but completely unusable unless decompressed)
CHD 510GB (380GB smaller but completely usable for emulation and can be extracted to burn)

Both formats are 100% lossless and able to check the CRC on and I have read that CHD even has a metadata field where you could potentially add the hashes there to make scanning a set easier unless you wanted a deep scan.

When it comes to the ReDump sets, RVZ is hands down the best for Gamecube and Wii while CHD basically would be superior to all other containers for disc images as they match 7-zip in size while still being usable. The moment they create a disc emulator with CHD support it would even be the best option for the PC game collections they are very active on working with now.

With would allow ReDump and others to continue to make their dats using Bin/Cue and ISO files in mind but could then be compressed in usable formats that match the best compression formats currently supported and in the case of RVZ the single best format for space savings by a mile and still be usable.

Thank you for your time and your work. I hope you can potentially implement this feature in the future as it would save many a tons of space and hassle. I am betting a bunch of people would probably start rebuilding their Zip/7z collections into those formats the moment they can and still reliably audit them.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 107.0.0.0 Chrome 107.0.0.0
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Archive support for RVZ and CHD formats.
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2022, 08:36 »

The ability to treat RVZ and CHD files the same way it treats .zip, .7z, and .rar files at least for the dat files that don't already have CHD files in them like Mame does. I understand that it supports CHD files if the dat actually explicitly mentions them, but not what I am describing.

Don't mix the representation of a set and its content. A disk element in a datfile (or a rom or sample) is the content of a set. A set is a collection of roms and/or samples and/or disks. A set can be represented either decompressed as a rompath subfolder or it can be a zip/7z/rar archive. A disk within a set is currently represented as a CHD file.

It's not planned to support RVZ. Neither as a new set archive format besides 7z/zip/rar nor as an alternative for representing disk elements within sets.

Fugus

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 106.0 Firefox 106.0
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Archive support for RVZ and CHD formats.
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2022, 21:10 »

So basically, the only way to have these formats in a collection would be if the ReDump group themselves specifically used them for their Dat files.

Was worth a shot, thank you for hearing me out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 19 queries.

anything