EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outputting a game's original resolution?  (Read 13843 times)

xro998

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
    • View Profile
Outputting a game's original resolution?
« on: 15 October 2011, 16:05 »

I'm going to be using CoinOPS through component cables on a 4:3 480i CRT TV... for now I am planning to use the widescreen mode in the Xbox to get Capcom CPS-1/CPS-2 games to have the whole picture in "pixel perfect" because of their wider resolution, then simply having the CRT stretch the image to fit 4:3 (which to me is way better than the distortion from stretching the actual pixels with the aspect ratio correction). However, the very BEST picture would be if the Xbox itself outputted the rom's original resolution instead of the Xbox's resolution scaled. This will have a greater clarity while avoiding interlacing flicker from a high resolution on a 480i CRT... it also allows for scanlines. Is this at all possible? Thank you; CoinOPs is the best!
« Last Edit: 15 October 2011, 16:35 by xro998 »

sharpfork

• Operating System:
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 8.0 Chrome 8.0
    • View Profile
Re: Outputting a game's original resolution?
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2011, 17:18 »

I don't have an answer but I really apreciate your attention to detail and the link to the excellent resource on resolution and scanlines.
Can you tell me a bit more about running the widescreen mode on a non widescreen, 4:3,  monitor and how you accoplish this?
I have two cabinets running the same basic setup you are describing: 480i CRT via component.  I'm focusing on getting the hardware in place while we wait for CoinOps3 on 11.11.11 and plan on resolving some of my video issues & details in the new release.

NOTE: this forum has been in the midst of some very annoying drama.  You might want to make sure you save your question on your local computer in case things move get deleted again.  I discovered the awesomenss that is CoinOps 2 just as the previous offical forum on 1emulation (or something like that) was imploding.

xro998

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
    • View Profile
Re: Outputting a game's original resolution?
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2011, 17:36 »

Can you tell me a bit more about running the widescreen mode on a non widescreen, 4:3,  monitor and how you accoplish this?

I simply set the Video Display option in my UnleashX dash to "Widescreen". The CRT TV I'm going to get can accept 16:9 in it's correct aspect ratio with letter boxing as well as fill the entire screen.

Edit: Basically I am asking if CoinOPS is capable of forcing 240p output and also forcing the native resolution of any particular game when it is running (versus whatever the Xbox's resolution is ex. like when you are in the main menu to select a game)... considering the in-game menus are always the same size I am guessing this is not implemented. It is also the way old school consoles output their video such as SNES/Genesis... this would be amazing and provide an authentic experience for those of us with CRT TVs that allow low-def signals. Maybe a solution is to create a separate menu for each low resolution? Thanks for any reply by BP or anyone involved working on CoinOPS! This would be killer! ;)
« Last Edit: 16 October 2011, 04:48 by xro998 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 19 queries.

anything
anything