EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merged Sets Scans  (Read 3391 times)

Devvy

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 97.0.4692.71 Chrome 97.0.4692.71
    • View Profile
Merged Sets Scans
« on: 08 January 2022, 06:50 »

So after nearly 20 years of mame use, and what I "thought" I was doing right was that I discovered that my so called "Merged" sets are actually missing ROMs.
Only by accident after trying to play Slapfight Bootleg Set1, which is actually part of m1albsq parent set.
So my question is that since I've got "Merged Sets" selected on scanner, did does not find any missed clones/bootlegs when I do a "Miss List".
I then tried selecting "Non-merged" to get a full miss list, and got a huge missing list. If I then run a "Fix all" scan, it starts breaking all the roms up into non-merged sets, and created a mess of a ROM folder.
So back to square 1 and the main reason for my question is ;
How to you scan using "Merged" Sets for ROMs that are actually missing clones/bootlegs? Because "Miss List" is not capturing any of these.
Help please

Live Long & Prosper

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Merged Sets Scans
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2022, 11:05 »

"miss" and "have" lists are simply doing a quick lookup by setname. It's not reliable at all and not really used for auditing purposes. Actually I think they aren't used in the last 20 years :)

The only real thing to do is using a scan and looking at the scan results tree window.

Not merged sets is also pretty uncommon. People use split or full merged sets. Personally I think split a bit more intuitive since you actually see the clone sets as arvchives and not included as files in the parents.

"How to you scan using "Merged" Sets for ROMs that are actually missing clones/bootlegs?"
So...first of all, you need to be sure what you mean with "merged". Split and Merged are both merged types, the latter one is "full merged", i.e. only parent set archives exists and the clone sets are part of them. Split means that you got an archive for each set (no matter if parent or clone) but the clone sets only hold the clone files and not again the shared ones from the parent. Keeping them split is (as far as I know) the most common method.

So to achieve your goal, simply choose the "you prefer" mode and do a scan (with fix options). Everything which appears in the scan results tree window then needs fixing.

Devvy

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2022, 07:33 »

1stly, Thank you for the best ROM manager... that I've used forever.
2ndly, thank you for your reply.
I've always had merged sets as the build/rebuild/scan option.
I thought that my merged sets were always complete until I used the 'non-merged' scan.
I've figured that I will just need to manage the clones/bootlegs via the 'non-merged' scan and track the missing with an excel spreadsheet (which I do now anyway), comparing the Mame32 audit window with the miss list.
PS I always use Miss / Have to keep upto date.
Thanks again
Live Long and Prosper
Live Long & Prosper

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2022, 11:35 »

"I thought that my merged sets were always complete until I used the 'non-merged' scan.
I've figured that I will just need to manage the clones/bootlegs via the 'non-merged' scan"
Sorry but that does not make any sense :)

The scanner shows all missing files (if you got any) when you run a scan with "you prefer -> merged". It will also list missing clones/bootlegs in the scan results tree output.

There is no reason at all to switch to "non-merged".

Do you have a specific example of a full merged set where the scanner doesn't show any issue but a MAME32 audit does?

There are some options in cmpro which may hide information from you (e.g. not enabling all systems, all sets, all chdtypes or completely hiding fully missing sets....), so maybe it's just such an option in your setup which makes you think it's not working as you expect.

« Last Edit: 09 January 2022, 11:36 by Roman »

Devvy

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2022, 11:01 »

Thanks again, I think I'm having a mental breakdown with the scanner and how it works.
I see your point in selecting anything other than "Merged" is not achieving anything different, except when I click "Miss" or "Have" list, then the list will differ but not "How" I thought it worked.
I've traditionally used these to 'find' missing sets, but I've now realised that I've been using it incorrectly ... for a long time.

I've attached some screenshots just to check I'm not going crazy.
1. settings
2. advance settings
3. systems, I always click "Auto-assign"
4. stats.
5. rebuilder

Cheers
Live Long & Prosper

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2022, 13:16 »

Again: Forget the miss/have lists. They don't check anything. They only look if pacman.zip is available or not (just to give an example). Such list generators don't check the content at all. The purpose of such list generators is (or was...since I said it was most likely used by 2,3 users back in 2000) to generate a list of pre-scanned sets.

So...look at the scan results tree output. Everything listed there needs fixing, no matter which merge mode you've chosen.

If you only looked at miss/have lists in the past, you were wrong :)

Devvy

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2022, 10:45 »

Thank you for your support ;)
Live Long & Prosper
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.

anything