EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: clrmamepro hardware question  (Read 6766 times)

Specialt1212

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.18 Firefox 3.6.18
    • View Profile
clrmamepro hardware question
« on: 27 July 2011, 12:21 »

I noticed that some of the larger dat's I've tried to run through clrmamepro take an extremely long time to process fixes while sets like NES for instance only take a couple of seconds. What would make the scanning / renaming process faster? Would more RAM make the process go faster or would a better CPU be needed?

I'm just curious because I don't want to waste more money on RAM if it's not really going to give any speed performance.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 12.0.742.122 Chrome 12.0.742.122
    • View Profile
Re: clrmamepro hardware question
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2011, 13:17 »

Well, generally more RAM is a good thing for your PC...if you got less than 4GB..above...hm..nah..won't help you that much..

Generally, it highly depends on how sets are organized in the dat.

For example, if you got a 1-set-dat like "Flyers", all files are in one set, i.e. you do renames/fixes on one big zip...that takes time since it needs to reorganize the zip over and over again. An option could be to switch to decompressed sets in that case, but that would require crc32 calculation on files...which takes time again...

On the other hand if you got a 1-file-1-set dat where a set only consists of 1 file...there a rename is very fast since it doesn't have to care about other files.

Scanning/Rebuilding/Fixing options which are a speed drop are:
- rebuilder's "recompress files" option
- any sha1/md5 or deep crc32 additional checks (rebuilder advanced, scanner/checksum)
- header usage (it then has to decompress files, skip header, calc crc32)

So...before you buy new hardware, better check the mentioned options (turn them off if possible ) and check if your zips which take long are such 1-zip-10000 files ones...they simply take time....(until I find time to optimize their handling).
« Last Edit: 27 July 2011, 13:17 by Roman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.

anything