EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help a newbie out with imame4all and some roms.  (Read 34338 times)

burn1nator

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.8 Firefox 3.0.8
    • View Profile

just a regular joe trying to get some Roms working with imame4all on my ipad. Im decent with computers so i have played with the clrmamepro program to try to figure out how to convert the roms to get them to work with the version of imame4all as they said on the website to do. This is what it says.
Please use "clrmame.dat" file included (dont know how to use it to convert roms) in /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/iMAME4all to convert romsets from other MAME versions to the ones used by this version, using ClrMAME Pro utility, available in next webpage:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

I have tried using clrmamepro and pretty much click on everything and see what it does, from mergin to non split, etc. I have looked at the .dat file and tried to understand how to convert the romsets so i can get the roms to work on imame4all. Im not trying to do anything fancy like you guys do (you guys get pretty technical here) i just want to be able to upload some ROMS to my ipad and play some metal slug and other great games(love those neo geo games).

If you can please point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it SOOOO much!!!

I am a Newbie but i can follow your instructions pretty good.

Thank you for your help and time.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 12.0.742.112 Chrome 12.0.742.112
    • View Profile
Re: Please help a newbie out with imame4all and some roms.
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2011, 09:54 »

If I remember correctly imame4all is based on a really really old version of MAME, i.e. the used sets/roms are most likely outdated or highly differ from the current MAME .143 version.

So...assuming this datfile you are speaking of is a valid one for imame4all, you need to do the following:

- load the datfile in the profiler, let it create a default profile for it
- go to settings, setup a rompath, let it point to a new, empty folder
- since you want to do a conversion, next stop is the rebuilder: let the rebuilder destination point to your setup empty rompath. rebuilder source should point to your collection of roms, not sorted ones, most likely belonging to current MAME. select the prefered merge mode (I don't know what imame4all supports...maybe go with split). Hit the rebuild button (recompression can be turned off) and wait....

That will create all valid files (for imame) from your current collection.

So you most likely miss the old outdated ones. You can double check by scanning the created ones...So go to the scanner, keep all default settings and scan....it will report what is missing, what is wrong. You can turn on the fix options to get things resolved but of course no new files are magically created. You need to find them. You can add them again via the rebuilder for example...

Hope that helped a bit...

burn1nator

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2011, 17:27 »

Thx man i will try that later on and will get back to you.

burn1nator

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2011, 03:28 »

I have tried what you told me and it seems like everything went fine. Loaded the .dat file and change the settings. Hit rebuilder and removed the recompress files. I hit the scan and its scanning a shit load of them.

Didnt seem to fix anything. It shows all the active sets, doesnt show Parents, Clones or BIOS. (I am missing the BIOS's for the neo geo games? do i need them?).

Active ROMS is the same.

Probably didnt do it right, but i followed what you told me and it seems to work on rebuilding them with the .dat file from imame4all. I load the files into the ipad but some of them dont even show in the menu.

Any ideas?

Thx

EDIT: what i have noticed is that imame4all onn the ipad only shows a few. After checking the converted files, it only shows the same as the ipad and for some reason it doesnt show several. (source and converted dont match in ROM files). Could the roms be bad? i do see 2 of the metal slug games but it says that its missing files, and other stuff.

Even tho i have Baseball Stars, A Wild West game with Cows, and all the Metal Slug games, only 2 Metal Slug games show and they dont work. Hope that help determine what my problem is.

The Scan results show this: unneeded file ROMS\btoads.zip,excitek.zip,megaman2.zip,moo.zip,mslug3.zip,mslug4.zip,mslug5.zip,mslugx.zip,smash5sp.zip,spdodgeb.zip

I dont know what it means when it says that the file was Unneeded.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2011, 03:50 by burn1nator »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2011, 05:05 »

well first of all for the rebuild I said to disable the "recompress files" option, not to remove compressed files ;)

secondly, the scanner fixes issues if you enable the fix options. And of course it can only fix things which are fixable, i.e. if the scanner lists a wrongly named file, fine, it can rename it to the correct name. It can't magically create a missing file if you don't have it somewhere.

So actually, after doing a rebuild and doing a scan (scan the fresh rebuilt files) you should only get errors for missing files then.

So maybe you should send in a screenshot of the scanner output tree.....

and finally: you have to differ between a correct and valid set and working games. These things have nothing to do with each other. You can have a 100% valid set but if the emulator doesn't play it, it's the emulator's fault. MAME includes hundreds of not working (not fullly emulated) games.

burn1nator

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2011, 06:17 »

Thank you guys so much. After dealing with this stuff, i have found a site which list the games that actually work with imame4all, and some of the games that i was trying to play dont work with imame4all. I was for sure missing the rom files from neo geo in order for me to play it (just like the emulator for the pc) and got a hold of the working ROMS that i wanted to play. No matter how much i tried, some roms just dont work with imame4all.

Now im able to play Metal Slug, Baseball stars 2, Metal Slug 2, The Simpsons, Turfmaster, etc.

Thank you for your time guys.

The Burn1nator

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2011, 06:46 »

well, yes of course...if a set needs bios files, you need the (complete) bios set as well...similar for parent/clone relationships....

bsabiston

• Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6.7 Mac OS X 10.6.7
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.0.5 Safari 5.0.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2011, 15:09 »

I am in the same boat, as are many people probably now that iCade supports MAME.  Even without the cabinet, it was freaking awesome to sit on my couch and play Frogger using the WiiMote!

I am going to try these instructions -- but @burn1nator, it isn't clear whether they worked for you?  Ultimately did you have to go find completely different, older roms for the games you wanted to play?

I already understand that iMAME4all only plays about 1/3 of the games in the recent MAME set, but it sounds like you had trouble on top of that?  I too want to play Metal Slug, Donkey Kong and all the old classics, etc.  Will this Clrmamepro help with that, or not?

Thanks
Bob

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 12.0.742.122 Chrome 12.0.742.122
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2011, 17:44 »

clrmamepro is a rom manager and helps you (assuming you got a right database loaded) to audit (check and fix) your sets. It doesn't care about playability in the emulators...it's all about auditing....

bsabiston

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2011, 18:09 »

Thanks.  I understand that but was just wondering what the original poster had to do to get it working.  I don't want to spend a lot of time trying clrmamepro if it isn't going to help.

I actually found an older set of roms online which match the version of mame supported by iMAME4All, so I am going to try that first.

Bob

bsabiston

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2011, 21:03 »

Just a followup -- using the older romset I found online, everything worked great!  I would advise doing that rather than trying to mess around converting newer roms.  Also, if you are just going to copy a subset of the roms to your iPad, make sure to include neogeo.zip, because it is needed by Metal Slug and some other games.  At first I didn't have that one and it gave me errors.

Bob

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 12.0.742.122 Chrome 12.0.742.122
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2011, 10:33 »

well yes, the normal MAME behaviour of parent/clone relationships and bios relationships are also valid for imame4all....if you want to play clone, you need the parent (if split-merged) and if the set (like metal slug) needs a biosset, you need the biosset as well....

clrmamepro in this context would only tell you that your neogeo set is complete or incomplete....if you forget it to copy it to your phone/pad....tough luck ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 19 queries.