EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash/Close Out /w Many Scan Result Messages  (Read 3317 times)

Kolano

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 83.0 Firefox 83.0
    • View Profile
Crash/Close Out /w Many Scan Result Messages
« on: 02 December 2020, 17:03 »

After not updating Mame for many months I wanted to bring my collection up to speed. I've been running into trouble doing so as at some point each night I'd run ClrMAMEPro against my ROM collection it would mysteriously exit out without completing or providing any results.

As far as I can tell this may be related to some sort of overflow that occurs when many Scan Result messages are output (somewhere > 15k logs).

Repeatedly stopping the scan process, correcting things, and restarting it; has let me make progress, but it's been very frustrating. Hoping the issue causing the program to mysteriously shut down can be resolved, or if not that things could be revised to maintain results if a a scan is cancelled mid-course.

On Windows 10 using cmpro64.exe (Latest Nightly from Sunday, November 29, 2020, 7:24:36 PM).
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 19:45 by Kolano »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 86.0.4240.198 Chrome 86.0.4240.198
    • View Profile
Re: Crash/Close Out /w Many Scan Result Messages
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2020, 18:14 »

Just scanned a huge dat without having any roms at all creating a huge scan results output and not "crash out".
Neither reported any user such a thing until today.

Maybe one of the 3rd party libraries (rar/7z) create a problem when fixing/working on a corrupt archive. So it would be interesting to find out when the problem appears.
What you can try:
- limit your amout of files (e.g. only a few files in rompaths)
- run with no fix options
- try to turn off other applications which might interfear (virusscanners)
- try different hardware (external hds, etc)
- and try to find out at which position (game description in the scan progress window) the application closes...you might get an idea which sets are affected.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 19:24 by Roman »

Kolano

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2020, 20:01 »

It's scanning a Mame 0.226 derived dat /wo software lists on a NAS device over a SAMBA share. I was originally scanning inclusive of SL, but it was too large making the repeated restarted needed ridiculous.

Yeah, it's weird. It's not a crash, just a mysterious program close with no error. It doesn't seem to happen at any particular point/file.

There is some other issue happening as well where it seems unable to complete file moves. It seems to move the file, but be unable to remove them from the improper locations. Resulting in lots of "wrong placed file:" results and "Can't remove file from:" warnings. Keeping the fix options on and quitting out of a scan once I hit 15k+ messages, to move all the files listed in the warnings window, has allowed me to almost complete a scan after numerous restarts, but it's been frustrating.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2020, 20:18 »

Ah...Samba...There is your issue :)
Not joking but years ago some user reported problems with rebuilding files using samba shares (actually you can google clrmamepro + samba ;).

The rebuilder simply skipped files or simply completed even if not all files were processed. The reason for this was a problem with SAMBA. If I remember correctly the user solved the problem by updating network drivers or he changed his configuration or checked his network timings.

I've did some SAMBA tests myself in the past but wasn't able to repeat such a behaviour :(

So really hard to say what to do.

Check if you can update network drivers, check access rights, cables, stress test the network etc...google Samba file access problems...sorry...but at the moment I don't have a better advice.

Kolano

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2020, 00:13 »

Yeah, I think I was one of those users from years ago. A shame no ones been able to track this down to a more specific issue. I've since resolved enough issues that I can't replicate the problem any more without prepping up some test setup.

In any case, something is going wrong when scanning roms with significant lists of problems on a SAMBA share in Windows that causes the program to silently exit /wo error.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2020, 06:44 »

The exit without an error is really interesting since it means that no buffer overflow/out of memory or assertion/execption was thrown. It looks like the OS simply kills the thread nicely. Like if it seems that some app is causing lots of network traffic, it closes it. Cmpro simply uses win32 api calls to open/read files / walk through dirs...so there is nothing really evil...just lots of requests :)

Have to google a bit more about it.

Maybe you can play around with the thread priority (Settings->Compressor->General) and set it to something less than normal.
Or in cmpro.ini you change the following settings and restart cmpro (default was 'off' if I remember correctly, just toggle its state).
Adv_ShareRead = on
Adv_ShareWrite = on
« Last Edit: 03 December 2020, 06:45 by Roman »

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 87.0.4280.88 Chrome 87.0.4280.88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2020, 09:36 »

Just a sidenote....
I found out that endless recursions (stack overflows) will simply close the application without any error messages (null pointers, memory leaks etc cause some windows runtime prompts). If I find a little time I will double check recursive routines in scanner/rebuilder to see if there is a wrong condition in there which might run into your problem on samba shares....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.

anything