EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Error While Adding" error during Rebuilding  (Read 4062 times)

Clutz450

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.97 Chrome 78.0.3904.97
    • View Profile
"Error While Adding" error during Rebuilding
« on: 21 November 2019, 17:03 »

So after a bit of a break, I am back at it again trying to organize all my games by making sure they are up to date with No-Intro and Redump and remove duplicates.  I'm working on my PS2 games now and rebuilding them into a new folder and everything seemed to be working fine.  Then all of a sudden I keep getting this "Error While Adding" error (see attached picture)  All game before it worked fine so I thought maybe it was an issue with that particular game, but everyone I try I get the same error.  I thought maybe it had something to do with the games being 7zipped so I unzipped the remaining games and tried rebuilding again but I am getting the same error.  How would I find out what is causing this?  Like is there a more detailed error log somewhere I can view to see what exactly is going on?  Thank you.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.108 Chrome 78.0.3904.108
    • View Profile
Re: "Error While Adding" error during Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2019, 18:01 »

well...hard to say...the external 7z compression task failed. Does the 7z file already exist? Do you rebuild it to a place where the 7z is already present? Or does the rebuilder try to add it to a new archive?
What are your 7z settings?
If there's a chance can you provide me the datfile and an example file?
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 18:01 by Roman »

oxyandy

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 78.0.3904.108 Chrome 78.0.3904.108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2019, 19:45 »

Does the 7z file already exist?
If so and it is a t7z file, the program 7z will issue an error "data past the end of the file" and abort
<you will not see this error unless you run the version of 7z.exe you are using as a command line window on the archives you are working with>
If you use a specific version of 7z.exe - think is version 7.28, you will not get this error
(if archives are t7z archives.)
« Last Edit: 24 November 2019, 20:12 by oxyandy »

Andearoid

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 85.0.4183.83 Chrome 85.0.4183.83
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2020, 08:10 »

Hello,

I currently have the same issue as you describe while rebuilding a GameCube romset and compressing into 7z. But everything works well with Super NES and Nintendo 64 romsets.

My ClrMAMEPro release is 4.038a.
My GameCube .dat file is from ReDump and my Super NES en Nintendo 64 .dat files are from No-Intro.

My 7Z compression settings are :
Compress : a -y -r -ms=off -mx9 -mmt=4 -m0=LZMA2 -mfb=256 -md=384m %1 %2
Delete : d -y -ms=off -mx9 -mmt=4 -m0=LZMA2 -mfb=256 -md=384m %1 %2

I tried with default parameters too but it doesn't fix the issue. To fix the issue, I have to use .ZIP instead of .7Z compression. But it's not what I would like to do.

Was someone able to fix this issue with .7Z ? And how ?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2020, 08:34 »

As mentioned, the error happens when something goes wrong during the actual compression procedure of the mentioned file to the mentioned archive.
It does not depend on any datfile/collection and since you're using 7z (external packer), running that external tool returns an error on that specific file.

Finding the actual reason..hmm...can be difficult without having the files, so let's check the standard things:

- you've put the path of the 7z.exe to your system's environment %PATH% variable? If not, ensure you've listed the full path to the exe in compressor/settings->7z
- you're using a current version of 7z? 19.00 should be also fine (20x is still alpha)
- for temporary file decompression/compression, cmpro's temp folder is used, so the place where cmpro is installed should have enough free space and cmpro shouldn't be installed in an UAC controlled folder
- you're trying to rebuild to an empty destination (i.e. the file does not exist there already)
- Testint the actual 7z file (source or destination). Did you try tro test it with 7z if it's not corrupt?

- if you do a rebuild from a to b, ensure that the file does not exist in b. Maybe cmpro tries to replace the file in there and something fails during deletion.
- did you try to do the compression manually? So run your commandline statements on the files and check if maybe 7z fails with something

- if you can repeat the scenario, you should send me the files in question (used datfile, the 7z source, the 7z destination if existing)

Typical problems with 7z are solid archives. Like you want to add something to a solid archive while not using solid mode commandline parameters.

Andearoid

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2020, 23:21 »

Thank you so much for your reply. You gived to me the way to find what was wrong. The issue was around the -md=384m parameter. I had to reduce the dictionary size to 128MB. And I set two CPU threads max with the -mmt2 parameter.

I tested my 7Z command line with small files, it worked great. But with larger file size to compress (like .ISO or .CHD dumps) it returned a "Can't allocate required memory" error message. I use ClrMamePro with a Windows 10 x86 operating system. I think I shouldn't get this limit with a x64 version.

Excuse me to made you waste your time, I should have normaly be able to find that by myself. How ever most of your recommendations like solid mode archive and 7Z version are interesting to known.

For any people looking for, here is my new 7Z compression settings :
Compress : a -t7z -y -r -mmt2 -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=1024 -md=128m -ms=off %1 %2
Delete : d -t7z -y -mmt2 -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=1024 -md=128m -ms=off %1 %2

And for a quicker encoding using all CPU threads :
Compress : a -t7z -y -r -mmt8 -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=1024 -md=16m -ms=off %1 %2
Delete : d -t7z -y -mmt8 -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=1024 -md=16m -ms=off %1 %2

But the slower encoding compress more than the quicker encoding. For comparison purpose :
Original ISO file : 1425 MB
7Z slow encoding : 804 MB
7Z fast encoding : 831 MB
Zip slow encoding : 1070 MB

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2020, 05:54 »

Nice that you found the reason and thanks for the 7z parameters guide!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 19 queries.

anything