clrmamepro [English] > clrmame Discussion

Downloaded MAME Romset has 4800 files, after CLP 1700 files remained?

(1/5) > >>

RK_aus_S:
Yes, I'm quite new with ClrMamePro, and my questions are possibly silly (therfore the suitable avatar... ;-) - sorry for that in advance.

I've downloaded a MAME 0.78 romset with about 4800 zip files. I created a Profile with an appropriate DAT-File and scanned and rebuilded this romset source a few times with different settings. But no matter if I choose "Non-merged sets" or "Split sets"; after lettings CMP running over this 4800 files, only about 1715 files remained, the rest was moved to the backup folder of CMP. Fore sure I do something wrong or I have a misunderstandig. But where?

My goal is the following: meanwhile I have about 10 MAME 0.78 romsets, some with over 1000 zip files some with over 4000 zip files. I wish I could say "hey ClrMamePro, this are 10 directories with romsets - make ONE Non-merged romset for me and delete (backup) all the rest". Quite sure CMP is exctly for that, but I have no idea how to do that...

Regards
Roman

Roman:
1) current MAME is .206, .78 is about 15 years old...and full of outdated, partly bad rom dumps ...there is no need to use such an old version..and compared to today, most likely most of the stuff doesn't match anymore.
2) you don't really want to use non-merged sets. full or split merge is the way to go
3) the rebuilder is a file based operation, not a set based one. It takes a file from the source (or a file from an archive within the source), calculates a hash and compares that against the loaded database. If there is a match, it will add/create all found instances in the destination, using the correct naming there.
So if you think the rebuilder did not do its job correctly (which is unlikely), you better check which database is loaded or look at the rebuilder log to see what is skipped or rebuild....
4) the scanner can be used to check what is wrong with your collection and it will fix renames etc.

So...if you really want to go with .78, ensure that you're also using a .78 datfile (or .78 mame executable to import the data from).

RK_aus_S:
Thanks a lot, Roman.
1) I use Recalbox, and they recommend MAME 0.78 (as well as MAME 0.187 for fba_libretro)...
2) ...and the Recalbox guys recommend in there Wiki "Non-merged" sets as well.
3) I loaded a MAME 0.78 dat file for sure (that one Recalbox provides in the appropriate MAME direcotry) - and I tried a altnernate one (provided from the RetroPie environment/guys) as well. Looking at the log file of the rebuilder is a good hint, maybe it solves something...

Thank you for the explanation of CMP, that's about what I expected; it's all about the DAT file against which CMP compares all the content - and approves it or not.

Roman:
well...a quick test would be to look at one set which is not regenerated by the rebuilder at all....get the hashes of the single files (the actual rom files, not the set archive file) and lookup that value in the datfile. If it's not there, you can be rather sure that either the files or the dat is wrong ;-)

So...maybe give one concrete example (filename, hash values) here in the forum and I can try to figure out what's going on

f205v:
If i may step in, the best way to have a "certified" mame 0.78 dat file is to start from the official mame executable that you can download from the official mamedev webpage: https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

Once loaded in clrmame, go to rebuilder and set as source the directory where the 10 downloaded romsets are, set as destination the appropriate rompath for your recalbox setup, and let it run.
What you will have at the end will be the best possible correct set for mame 0.78
If you are still missing something, I suggest you look for some "roll-back" rom sets, They usually contain the wrong roms that have been removed from mame from one version to the newer one.

Last thing: go for split, this is how 99% of mame user do it, and it works. Full merged only makes sense to reduce the total number of files, unmerged only makes sense in few very exotic cases, too scarce to mention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version