EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ProgettoSNAPS and Cmpro , settings to have some speed for rebuild ?  (Read 3548 times)

Mpegforever

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
    • View Profile

Hello.
I am using the snap files from ProgettoSnaps for the snapshots and the cabinets.
I am not sure how to do it properly.
Example: let's use cabinets.
If I have /mame/cabinets/cabinets.zip then it takes ages to rebuild. One cabinet file every 8 seconds...(!)
If I have /mame/cabinets/cabinets/...all the pngs here... it still takes long. Less ...but on the other hand we are dealing with thousands of file which makes backups and other operations a pain. We also have snapshots, etc.
What is the best setup ?
Thanks, ciao

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99 Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • View Profile

First of all, if you download packages at the progetto page you get archive sets which contain archives (e.g. a solid 7z with a zip in it). So if you rebuild them, it needs to unpack the archive in the archive first etc..etc...this takes long. So unpacking them first might give you some speed improvement.
Second of all, the rebuilder is file based, i.e. it picks one file from the source and recreates all instances which match the checksum in the destination.
If you rebuild to an archive, it will take long (depending on the type...e.g. solid 7z archives will kill you since they need to recompress themselves over and over again).

Try to limit the rebuild operations. Normally you only need the rebuilder to add the new stuff. Scanner with fix options (fix-missing disabled though) will clean the existing collection, then the rebuilder to add only the updated pngs.

For the images the best setup is most likely decompressed source and decompressed destination sets. But generally....they are a pain ;-)

Mpegforever

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
    • View Profile

Thanks.
I see that an average i5 windows7 suffers with folders containing thousands of files. It's awful. Wonder if it's a disk thing, a FAT issue or Windows.
A big waste of time just waiting Windows there.
Bye
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 20 queries.

anything