EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie clrmamepro questions  (Read 4614 times)

ginjirou

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.116 Chrome 52.0.2743.116
    • View Profile
Newbie clrmamepro questions
« on: 15 August 2016, 03:01 »

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a few clrmamepro questions. I am not new to MAME but I am pretty new to clrmamepro and how to use it. I got fed up with games no longer working as the MAME versions updated. So here are my questions as follows:

After rebuilding my roms, there are some that work that previously did not as intended. However there are other which still will not work. Are these the roms that require additional files?

Once I locate the missing files(I know I know use Google because you're not allowed to drop links to them here) do I place them in the source folder?

Some games I am trying to fix are supported(and have worked on previous MAME versions but their drivers are not in the clrmamepro system/software scan list. Why is that?

I have a game that shows up as working but will not run as if it's missing files. MAME(by way of EmuLoader front end) says all files are accounted for.  What else would cause it not to run?

Any help is appreciated and please have mercy on the new guy lol

AMDFX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
10 GB RAM 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie clrmamepro questions
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2016, 06:01 »

First of all, "working" and auditing sets are 2 different things.
Auditing might result in a 100% correct set (i.e. all files are there and correctly named etc) while the game is still not working since MAME does not emulate it correctly (yet). It's pretty common that a set requires more than its own set files. Depending on its merge mode it might require files from the parent set, a bios set and device sets. So if you want to play game xyz you might also require belonding bios, device and parent sets as well.

Secondly....I don't know where the idea comes from that you need a full rebuild first....So...use the scanner and run it with all check/fix options enabled. It tells you what is missing...and THEN you can use the rebuilder (or simply drag'n drop files in the scanner) to ADD them.
The rebuilder destination should point to your rompaths (where the correct names are added to), while the source (if not using drag'n drop) points to a messy folder with all kind of unsorted stuff.

You're done when the scanner results tree does not show any entries.

What do you mean with "but their drivers are not in the clrmamepro system/software scan list." ?

ginjirou

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2016, 16:21 »

I have the Hyper Street Fighter Anniversary edition romset which worked for MAME v 0.148. Computer virus issues(I was forced to restore my pc to factory settings) prevented me from using MAME up until the current version. HSF2:AE no longer works because of one missing file. I notice on the scan list there are drivers listed for different arcade board.  HSF2: AE ran on CPS2, but I don't see the corresponding driver listed. That's what I meant by not seeing certain drivers in the list.

The other point you touched on is the fact that a romset might be complete, but not working yet.  The game in question is in fact listed as working and its required files accounted for, but it still won't work.

When I do my rebuilds(I now know it's best to scan and fix first) I make the source folder the folder where the original roms are kept(same as the rom directory path which I set for MAME). I created a new folder for the destination where rebuilt roms are output to. This allows me to keep track of where the old and new versions of the roms are. It most likely is amateurish and redundant, so I am open to any alternate suggestions which make more sense.

The idea of rebuilding first comes from me not knowing what the hell I'm doing and still being in the clrmamepro learning process lol You provided me useful information to go apply and see what difference that makes toward correcting my non working romsets.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2016, 19:13 »

as I said, sets require more roms than the files from the set itself (parents, bios, devices). Most likely you're missing the qsound device roms.

ginjirou

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2016, 03:01 »

I was able to get Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition working once I got the Q Sound bios.  My next question is once I have gathered such files for a romset, you can use clrmamepro to combine all the separate files into one romset am I correct?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2016, 08:25 »

The Qsound device is shared by lots of sets...so it should be kept separately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.

anything
anything