EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to accomplish this?  (Read 8276 times)

Antny

• Operating System:
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
What's the best way to accomplish this?
« on: 30 April 2010, 02:18 »

I have MAME roms consisting of USA sets only (I don't want the parents).  I want to update them as newer versions of MAME come out.  As set/rom names change from time to time would I need to use the renamer first?  Say I have a set of USA roms of MAME version 137.1 and want to update to 137.3 usually I would load the new DAT and hit the 'Avail Sets' button and CLRMAME would only get ready to scan the sets I have.  Now lets say one of the USA sets named changed between MAME versions.  Would I be able to hit the 'Avail sets' button?  Would it miss the set with the name that changed?  Would I need to use the renamer first?  If so how would it be done?  I'm assuming I would use the 137.1 DAT as the old set and the 137.3 as the new set but what would I put in the 'Modify DAT' box? Another 137.3 so the names will be altered?

Sorry, If I made this question confusing.....

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.3 Firefox 3.6.3
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to accomplish this?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2010, 14:37 »

Well, first of all if you only want to keep some US clones, you need to switch to unmerged sets.
Reason: If you don't keep parent files you skip the full-merged method where all files are merged into the parent set and -in case of split merging- you won't have the needed parent files available.

Renaming operations from one MAME version to another is one of the reasons why limiting the set list for auditing is a bad idea. If the set was renamed (and the new name isn't enabled), the scanner won't pick it up for renaming (hmm...actually I need to test this...but I'm afraid the renaming works only on the enabled sets). And hitting 'available sets' will only quickly check for the filename....and won't enable it since a new name is required.

What you can do is: Use the setinformation's window "select sets" option which allows selection with wildcards....e.g. %d=*(US)* to enable all sets which got "(US)" in the description string which is usually an indicator for US sets.....however, this is not limited to the sets you got.

The better idea is to not limit your sets....and hide completely missing ones afterwards.
See also: http://www.emulab.it/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg439#msg439 on limiting sets...

Antny

• Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2010, 21:51 »

Thanks for responding.....

Yes I'm using unmerged sets.  I should have been a little more precise.  I mostly have USA sets.  When there is no USA set available I have the "world" set until a USA set is dumped (if ever).  I also have few Europe, Japan sets.  I see the wildcard thingy but it wouldn't accomplish what I need.  There is no way to alter a DAT with the renaming wizard first and then hitting 'avail sets' after.  Or is the renaming wzard only for snaps and stuff?  Any chance of any changes to CLRMAME in the future that can keep track of stuff like this?

Thanks again

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2010, 18:27 »

the rename wizard is mainly to find renames between two datfiles. what you do with its output is your choice. I use it to do renames in mainly artwork related dats. For your case the described method of scanning and fixing all sets (instead of limiting) and hiding completely missing sets afterwards is in my opinion the way to go. with that method you got the full functionality and dont have to care about filters and stuff. .....or you create dats on your own...which means some manual work. currently I dont see a chance to add a rename check on the avail. sets button procedure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.638 seconds with 20 queries.

anything