EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Assembly Required -- NOOB ??? (I have searched, read tutorials, and videos)  (Read 8094 times)

GlennMaples

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.3 Firefox 3.6.3
    • View Profile

I really appreciate all the work here.  I have a few questions and I was hoping someone could get me straight.

1) I have Roms in several different paths and CHDs in two others.  What I would like to do is put all of these in a single target directory.  I THINK that Rebuilder might do this: 
     1) set the ROM paths in the Addpath Settings
     2) Rebuild using addpath
     3) set a target directory and run

Is this right?  Is there another way to combine a bunch of ROM paths and get rid of extraneous copies of ROMS?  What should the output be (not sure whether the norm is compressed, re-compressed etc).  Most of my starting directories are already compressed but some are uncompressed folders

2) Is it generally a good idea to combine ROMs and CHDs in a single directory from the point of maintenance?

3) Also -- some of my missing CHDs are displayed in a blue font in the Scan results.  Does this color denote a particular significance?

4) Almost all of my missing CHDs are Konami Viper Bios.  Is there a problem with these CHds in 137 or is this just a massive coincidence?

Thanks to all and especially to Roman for his hard work.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

1) well, a *complete* rebuild is usually only necessary if you got really messy folders otherwise scanning the rompaths is usually a better way to go. The rebuilder does not rebuild chd files (yet), it only rebuilds roms.
If your goal is to create one rompath with all romsets and chds in it...ok, fine...a rebuild operation may be a good start. The rebuilder does not care if files are archived (zip, rar, 7z) or are decompressed...if it finds something valid (in terms of hash matches) it creates all instances of the match in the destination folder (using the correct name then).
So you can do this....and move the chds afterwards manually.
Regarding CHDs, you need to decide how to store them. The 'semi-official' way (i.e. a rompath subfolder named after the set, similar to decompressed sets) or the 'semi-not-so-official' way, keeping them at a rompath root. For the latter option, you need to enable the support in cmpro's scanner advance option.

2) sure it is, since your maintenance is done by cmpro, you don't really have to care ;) There are some people who like to use 50+ rompaths (split by systems for example), but even there you got chds and roms in one and the same rompath. The only question is, which chd storing method you're prefering. Personally, I prefer the semi-official method.

3) Blue = "clone" (chd/rom), Black = "parent" (chd/rom). It simply indicates that the missing file is a clone chd...and actually if this is listed it means that you should recheck your settings...because...why does it list a missing clone chd? If the parent chd is missing too, it should hide the clone and if it only lists the clone it means, the identical parent was found...sounds a bit weird. What you should check is: Profiler->Options->Parse disk merge tags. That option should be enabled to avoid having obsolete chds.

4) There is no problem with the chds. Maybe you store them incorrectly (if kept in a rompath root, you need to enable Scanner->advanced->allow chds on rompath root) or as mentioned in 3), check the Profiler->Options->Parese disk merge tags option. (Enable it!). And of course don't use 3rd party dats, instead use a direct (official) MAME import for your profile.

GlennMaples

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

Roman, thanks again for your help and your program.

Yes, My ROM paths are VERY messy; so I need to do a little clean up.

-glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 17 queries.

anything