EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assembly required -- Part II -- Where to store CHD's  (Read 9523 times)

GlennMaples

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.3 Firefox 3.6.3
    • View Profile

Roman,

On rebuilding I directed the output to a FINAL directory.  The rebuilder ran great, found a few missing ROMS in the backup folders and I am complete -- 0 missing sets, ROMs, or CHDs.

BUT -- now I have three stores of files:

1) the FINAL directory with all the rebuilt ROMS
2) A CHDs folder with about 80 percent of my CHDS
3) about 20 percent of my CHDs are in the original source folder where they were included in the same folders as the ROMs -- the Rebuilder skips CHDs when it rebuilds the ROMs sets.

I am planning on using Hyperspin as my front-end.  I am confused on Sets/folders, and how to structure them for Hyperspin. 

Suppose I have a GameX ROM in a zip file in my ROMs folder. 
And I have a GameX zip or folder in my CHD folder with the CHD. 

Should I try to merge (file merge not CLRMame merge) these two folders?  I am concerned because it seems that Hyperspin is looking for one ROM (and CHD) directory.

What should I do with the CHDs that were originally in the source ROM sets but were not copied over to the FINAL directory?   It seems to me that I could try to add them individually to my ROM folders in FINAL, but then if I have to rebuild again that I would be causing myself extra work.  Should I create new folders for each of these and put them in my CHDs directory?

Would it be better for me to REBUILD again and specify my Source ROM directory as the target of the rebuild?  I think that this would leave the CHDs in place but I am not sure.

Thank you again for your help and program.  And your patience :-)
-glenn

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
Re: Assembly required -- Part II -- Where to store CHD's
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2010, 10:11 »

As mentioned before, the rebuilder does not rebuild chds.

If you decide to keep chds in the 'official' way, you keep them in rompath subfolders named after the set (e.g. d:\mame\roms\area51\area51.chd...ok a simple example because chd and setname are identically named...which is not always the case. CHDs never go into zip files. They are zlib compressed containers on their own, so another compression causes nothing but heavy memory usage when decompressing them.

You have to manually move the chds...but...actually you can let cmpro do some work for you. Move the chd files in your new rompath root folder and scan (with set+rom+chd+name+unneeded check/fix enabled).
Cmpro detects wrong placed chds and creates the needed subfolders for you and moves it (with the correct name) to it.

GlennMaples

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2010, 15:24 »

Roman -- thanks again for all your expertise.

I think I get it now:

ROM SETS = compressed (zip) folder.
CHDs = regular system folder.

Go ahead and combine all under one ROM folder and let the apps sort it all out.

I went ahead and tried rebuilding to my main roms folder (as destination)--this seemed to do do the trick for me.  But I must have 5 or 6 backups of ROMS and CHDs (about 200GB per bu) floating around on my computer.

Thank you again for all your help

-glenn

BTW -- is your wish list up to date?  Thought I could chip in for something small (I'd like to get you the TV, but ...)  :-)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2010, 18:15 »

I've updated the wishlist a bit ;)
Paypal is also possible....or something for iTunes.....but of course cmpro is generally free.

Regarding chds: yep, chds belong to rompath\setname\chdfile.chd and compressed sets belong to rompath\setname.zip

« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 19:38 by Roman »

GlennMaples

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.4 Firefox 3.6.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2010, 13:21 »

Roman

I think Paypal is better for those of us in the US--at least I can't figure out how to get my US amazon to play nicely with the German site.  And, my German is almost non-existent-- 18 months in Berlin, but that was a very long time ago (Ah..thinking about Sabina....)

Will try to get something to you in the next few days-- I hate Paypal.  Thanks again for all the help to all of us.

-glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.

anything