EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Download folder - what's it do?  (Read 28961 times)

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.6 Firefox 3.6.6
    • View Profile
Download folder - what's it do?
« on: 23 July 2010, 08:34 »

The more I use this program, the less I understand how it works.

First problem - I keep getting this message about cannot retrieve version information when switching between options.  But that's relatively minor.

The big thing I don't understand is what the download folder is suppose to do and how it's actually utilized.  I <ahem> download roms to a specified folder and have that folder defined in clrmamepro.  I thought that by running the scanner the program would take the updated roms from my download folder and somehow "merge/update" them into my main MAME roms folder.

However, that doesn't seem to be happening.  Or, if it is, I can't tell it's happening.

What do I have to do in order to get the updated roms into my MAME roms folder?  Will clrmamepro do it and I'm just not using the program correctly or is there some additional manual intervention I have to do at my end?

Oh, I don't know if this affects anything, but I've got my roms in my MAME roms directory separated out by systems.  Thanks in advance.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 4.0.5 Safari 4.0.5
    • View Profile
Re: Download folder - what's it do?
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2010, 10:58 »

what message about switching options do you mean?? screenshot please.

the download folder is for cmpro's auto download options not for your downloaded files. easiest way to add files is via rebuilder or dragndrop in the scanner.

cmpro's download options let you download files from the reported issue list from a given url. they will be stored in the downloadfolder.

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2010, 07:28 »

Here's the error message I keep running across:

I still don't understand how I'm suppose to move the roms from my download directory to the main MAME rom folder.  As I wrote, I've got all my roms separated by machine, like so:

7/23/2010   3:53         <DIR>    .
 7/23/2010   3:53         <DIR>    ..
 7/11/2010   4:43         <DIR>    acpsx
 7/23/2010   4:19         <DIR>    airbios
 7/09/2010   1:51         <DIR>    aleck64
 7/23/2010   9:56         <DIR>    alg_bios
 7/23/2010   4:23         <DIR>    ar_bios
 7/23/2010   8:09         <DIR>    atarisy1
 7/09/2010   1:51         <DIR>    atluspsx
 7/09/2010   1:51         <DIR>    atpsx
.etc.

Should I create an "unsorted" or "uncategorized" directory, dump all the downloaded roms in there, and let clrmamepro "do its thing" when the scanner feature is run?  If I do that, am I going to have to add this extra directory to ROM-Paths under Settings?  If that's not the right way, how am I suppose to add files via the rebuilder or drag 'n' drop the downloaded roms in the scanner?  There doesn't appear to be an interface for this purpose.

Also, am I correct in deducing that if I'm using MAME's internal rom database (contained in the EXE) that I don't have to use any external DAT files?

Like I said, the more I use clrmamepro, the dumber I seem to get.  And I've read the various docs.  I hope you don't mind holding my hand while I struggle through these issues.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows Vista Windows Vista
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.5.11 Firefox 3.5.11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2010, 15:44 »

well, I'm on holiday, so here's the short answer:

the "version" prompt....guess this appears if the auto-update check does not find the needed version information on the clrmame homepage....which is a bit weird unless you don't have an internet connection ready. I can check this when I'm back. If you don't want to see it anymore, change the update check (cmpro's about window) to don't check daily/weekly/etc...

Again, the "download folder" is for cmpro's own download functionality which you can use from the scanner popupmenu. It lets you download missing listed items from a given URL...and these downloaded files will be stored in the download folder. Nothing more, nothing less.

The common way to update sets is if the new data is loaded in in the profiler, go to the scanner, enable all check/fix options and do a full scan. this should fix all fixable stuff and you most likely end with some missing sets (the ones which are new or were replaced in the new version). Now use the rebuilder to add the missing stuff. Do a scan again...and repeat the described way until nothing is listed anymore.

Assuming you've downloaded new sets to a folder c:\temp, let c:\temp be your rebuilder source folder and the rebuilder destintion should point to your cleaned up collection. The rebuilder adds all valid files. Even easier if once configures, you can simply drag'n drop files into the scan results window...this will internally use the rebuilder to add the files.

If you want to split sets by bios sets as you wrote, you need to use "system default paths". You can set them up in "Systems". Also set them up as rompaths. Since cmpro's rebuilder and scanner's fixmissing option needs to know if it should use system default paths, you need to enable the belonging options in the rebuilder or scanner-advanced.

Yes, you don't need external datfiles for MAME, MESS, RAINE, PINMAME. clrmamepro gets the data directly from the executable...and if you replace the exe file, it regets the data.

Just in case you're using Windows7 or Vista, please store cmpro in a NON UAC protected folder (e.g. NOT in c:\programs). I use for example d:\cmpro.

Don't worry if the advanced options make your hair gray at the moment...start the simple way:

1) profiler: create a profile based on your mame binary
2) settings: setup rompaths (and sample paths if you're using samples, too)
3) scanner: select your prefered merge mode, enable all check options (that's the default) and hit new scan...

3.1) scanner: enable all fix options and hit scan
3.2.)scanner: drag'n drop new stuff (after configurating the rebuilder) into the window

repeat 3.1/3.2 until you're done. There are also options which do a scan after a drag'n drop automatically....but again...start simple.

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2010, 03:30 »

Roman, thanks for taking time off from your vacation to answer my post.  However, I want to table those issues for a bit, as I've run into what I think is a fairly serious problem with the scanning feature.  I have all the "Check" and "Fix" buttons checkmarked.  However, when I do a scan, this happens:

I answer "Yes To All" and the scanning feature seems to complete normally.  However, just for a lark, I ran the scan feature again and once again got the same message:

I dropped to a DOS CLI to see what was going on and found this:

I would say the file was just copied over with the correct name and not renamed per-se, but the difference in filesizes between the two CHDs nixes that theory.

I then looked at the log entry and it reported this:

Notice the "[not fixed]" at the end of the entry.

I can run the scan feature all day long and encounter the same result.  This can't be normal, can it?  Is there an option I haven't set somewhere?  This is running the latest version, BTW (3.134b 64-bit).  Oh, and clrmamepro has full privileges to the MAME ROM folder in question.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2010, 03:33 by fleggett »

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2010, 05:04 »

Okay, I'm getting back to this part of my question.  However, I'm still having issues.

the "version" prompt....guess this appears if the auto-update check does not find the needed version information on the clrmame homepage....which is a bit weird unless you don't have an internet connection ready. I can check this when I'm back. If you don't want to see it anymore, change the update check (cmpro's about window) to don't check daily/weekly/etc...
I just go rid of it by not checking it at all.  It's not a biggie, but I would be interested to hear what you find out when you get back.

Again, the "download folder" is for cmpro's own download functionality which you can use from the scanner popupmenu. It lets you download missing listed items from a given URL...and these downloaded files will be stored in the download folder. Nothing more, nothing less.
So, it sounds like it's pretty useless for my purposes, then.  I download roms via usenet (the horror!), not from a specific site.

The common way to update sets is if the new data is loaded in in the profiler, go to the scanner, enable all check/fix options and do a full scan. this should fix all fixable stuff and you most likely end with some missing sets (the ones which are new or were replaced in the new version). Now use the rebuilder to add the missing stuff. Do a scan again...and repeat the described way until nothing is listed anymore.
Well, no matter how many times I use the rebuilder, there are still a LOT of flagged files which are reported by the scanner.  However, see my previous message about some scanner weirdness.  Could the two be related?

Assuming you've downloaded new sets to a folder c:\temp, let c:\temp be your rebuilder source folder and the rebuilder destintion should point to your cleaned up collection. The rebuilder adds all valid files. Even easier if once configures, you can simply drag'n drop files into the scan results window...this will internally use the rebuilder to add the files.
Okay, this added a critical part to my configuration.  I had no idea that I was suppose to define my rom download path here.

Now, regarding drag 'n' dropping - it doesn't work (for me).  I can highlight my download directory or all the contents in that directory and I can see where the pointer changes to that little plus sign underneath the pointer, but nothing seems to happen.  The same with the scan results window.  I don't know if this is particularly critical, but it is worrisome.

I did run the rebuilder and it picked up on my rom download directory and "did its thing".  However, as I wrote, I'm still getting a LOT of flagged items in the scanner.  I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong and am beginning to feel like the program is starting to defeat me.

If you want to split sets by bios sets as you wrote, you need to use "system default paths". You can set them up in "Systems". Also set them up as rompaths. Since cmpro's rebuilder and scanner's fixmissing option needs to know if it should use system default paths, you need to enable the belonging options in the rebuilder or scanner-advanced.
I'm pretty sure I've done this.  The only options NOT checked in the Advanced Scanner Options are "Allow not separated BIOS ROMs", "Allow CHDs in ROMPath root", and "Show 'baddump' ROM & inverted CRCs".  All the other options are checked.

Yes, you don't need external datfiles for MAME, MESS, RAINE, PINMAME. clrmamepro gets the data directly from the executable...and if you replace the exe file, it regets the data.
That takes a load off.  I keep seeing these websites with all these DAT files available for download and my heart sinks.  That clrmamepro handles DAT processing via the executable itself is a Godsend.

Just in case you're using Windows7 or Vista, please store cmpro in a NON UAC protected folder (e.g. NOT in c:\programs). I use for example d:\cmpro.
Well, I am using Win7 x64 and clrmamepro is installed in C:\Program Files\clrmamepro, but I have Properties -> Compatibility set to run the program as an admin.  And it does ask me that UAC question every time I invoke the program.  Do you think this could still cause problems?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.8 Firefox 3.6.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2010, 14:30 »

I just go rid of it by not checking it at all.  It's not a biggie, but I would be interested to hear what you find out when you get back.
Well, I will do some testing....however I somehow doubt I will be able to do this before next week....

So, it sounds like it's pretty useless for my purposes, then.  I download roms via usenet (the horror!), not from a specific site.
Download only supports HTTP:// and FTP:// ...however both can be configured freely so that maybe usenet via http: would work...anyway..ignore it for now.

Well, no matter how many times I use the rebuilder, there are still a LOT of flagged files which are reported by the scanner.  However, see my previous message about some scanner weirdness.  Could the two be related?
In your screenshot I see that a wrong named chd should be renamed to a correct name. The wrong named one already got a "_random number" extension which cmpro adds if a file is being moved to backup and an equally named file already exists. A kind of safe-move without overwriting something. So check if the "new name" file already exist and maybe you need to to a little bit of manual work here.
What is a bit scary is the fact that normally such extensions are only used inside the backup folder....that should be a separate folder, no rompath...maybe you should double-check this.
The rebuilder only ADDs files (however it uses the correct rom and name, no matter how the source file is named).  It does only work on ROMs (at the moment). So wrong names can only be fixed from within the scanner....if the rename operation fails, you should always check if the "new name" already exists.

Now, regarding drag 'n' dropping - it doesn't work (for me).

Welcome to the world of MS Vista/Windows 7. You can't do drag'n drop from one folder to another if there are different access rights involved. If cmpro is stored within an UAC protected folder and run as admin, you will run into issues when you drag files from other places with other rights...That's windows. Live with it....or even better: store cmpro like I described before...not in c:\programs :)=

edit: it would be interesting to know how the chd issue is based....can you give me some details about the stored files in the mentioned folder drmn2mpu (or whatever it was).....and maybe send me: your cmpro.ini file plus the *.cmp file belonging to your profile (usually cmpro's settings folder). In case of UAC folders, these may be mirrored in the windows roaming (C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\clrmame ?!?) folder... as mentioned..UAC sucks ;)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2010, 16:20 by Roman »

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2010, 04:31 »

In your screenshot I see that a wrong named chd should be renamed to a correct name. The wrong named one already got a "_random number" extension which cmpro adds if a file is being moved to backup and an equally named file already exists. A kind of safe-move without overwriting something. So check if the "new name" file already exist and maybe you need to to a little bit of manual work here.
You kinda lost me there.  Which file is suppose to be the right one?  And why are the two filesizes so dissimilar?  Should I just manually delete one?  If so, how do I know which one to erase?

What is a bit scary is the fact that normally such extensions are only used inside the backup folder....that should be a separate folder, no rompath...maybe you should double-check this.
If you're referring to what's contained in ..\clrmamepro\backup\MAME, the file I screenshotted doesn't exist in there (but 107 other files do).  Is there a setting I'm missing within clrmamepro?

The rebuilder only ADDs files (however it uses the correct rom and name, no matter how the source file is named).  It does only work on ROMs (at the moment). So wrong names can only be fixed from within the scanner....if the rename operation fails, you should always check if the "new name" already exists.
Hrrrr.  Once again, I seem to've dropped a few IQ points.  How do I know which is the "right" file after the scanner/rename operation has run?  And how many of these could potentially be affected?

Welcome to the world of MS Vista/Windows 7. You can't do drag'n drop from one folder to another if there are different access rights involved. If cmpro is stored within an UAC protected folder and run as admin, you will run into issues when you drag files from other places with other rights...That's windows. Live with it....or even better: store cmpro like I described before...not in c:\programs :)=
<groan> That's just great.  Well, when I move the program over to D:, is there any way I can restore my current configuration?  It took me probably two hours to get everything defined initially.

Maybe I should just install it in G:, which is where my MAME application is installed.

edit: it would be interesting to know how the chd issue is based....can you give me some details about the stored files in the mentioned folder drmn2mpu (or whatever it was).....and maybe send me: your cmpro.ini file plus the *.cmp file belonging to your profile (usually cmpro's settings folder). In case of UAC folders, these may be mirrored in the windows roaming (C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\clrmame ?!?) folder... as mentioned..UAC sucks ;)
<sigh> Yes, it certainly does.

I can PM you with the file attachments (I think), but I'm not sure what you need to know regarding the files in the drmn2mpu folder.  Can you be very specific?  Like I said, with this program, while I can understand the reason behind its existence, the nitty-gritty details seem to completely elude me.

Oh, before I forget, I meant to ask - once the rebuilder is run based on the files found in my usenet download directory, can I then delete those downloaded files?  Or should I keep them around for future rebuilds/rescans?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2010, 07:56 »

You kinda lost me there.  Which file is suppose to be the right one?  And why are the two filesizes so dissimilar?  Should I just manually delete one?  If so, how do I know which one to erase?
The right one is the new name of course. The one without the _18524 extension. What filesizes are you talking about. i don't see any filesizes.

If you're referring to what's contained in ..\clrmamepro\backup\MAME, the file I screenshotted doesn't exist in there (but 107 other files do).  Is there a setting I'm missing within clrmamepro?
No, I was refering to the fact that files only get a _randomnumber extension in cmpro's backup folder....the screenshot shows that your chd file got such an extension in your rompath...which is a bit spooky and I wonder how this was created.

Hrrrr.  Once again, I seem to've dropped a few IQ points.  How do I know which is the "right" file after the scanner/rename operation has run?  And how many of these could potentially be affected?
Normally you don't have to care, since normally wrong named files are renamed flawlessly. And I guess you scanner's advanced option "move not renamed files to backup" option enabled, too....so again, normally you shouldn't run into anything manual....
If cmpro says you should rename the chd, let cmpro do so.

<groan> That's just great.  Well, when I move the program over to D:, is there any way I can restore my current configuration?  It took me probably two hours to get everything defined initially.
two hours? oh please...unzip the cmpro package and if you don't have 1000 defined already, that's it. Maybe create a new MAME profile. If you got 1000 datfiles, you can copy cmpro's datfile folder and let the batchrun create profiles for you...ok..too much advanced stuff already.
But generally unzipping the program, creating a MAME profile, setting up rompaths is a 2 minutes job.

I can PM you with the file attachments (I think), but I'm not sure what you need to know regarding the files in the drmn2mpu folder.  Can you be very specific?  Like I said, with this program, while I can understand the reason behind its existence, the nitty-gritty details seem to completely elude me.

Simply let me know which files are present in the4 drmn2mpu. If it's only one chd file which got a _randomnumber extension, then simply let cmpro rename it.

Oh, before I forget, I meant to ask - once the rebuilder is run based on the files found in my usenet download directory, can I then delete those downloaded files?  Or should I keep them around for future rebuilds/rescans?
The rebuilder rebuilds/adds anything valid from the source to the destination. There is an option which removes rebuilt files from the source. These includes zips and folder if they are empty after the rebuilt file was removed. So it cleans itself automatically...Usually you got text files or other garbarge...they won't be removed.
So check what is still in the source after you've used the remove source file after rebuilt.....and save that for later.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2010, 20:28 »

at least I found the reason for the "version" prompt issue....fixed for next release

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2010, 04:40 »

The right one is the new name of course. The one without the _18524 extension. What filesizes are you talking about. i don't see any filesizes.
The one I listed earlier with the DOS CLI screenshot.  One file is 99,344 bytes and the other is 151,743.  Obviously, one is very different than the other.  Are you not seeing that screenshot?

two hours? oh please...unzip the cmpro package and if you don't have 1000 defined already, that's it. Maybe create a new MAME profile. If you got 1000 datfiles, you can copy cmpro's datfile folder and let the batchrun create profiles for you...ok..too much advanced stuff already.
But generally unzipping the program, creating a MAME profile, setting up rompaths is a 2 minutes job.
C'mon, Roman, don't get snarky.  I honestly don't know how to use this program, what with its numerous, rather arcane-sounding options.  Defining system paths in and of itself is VERY clunky and requires a LOT of mouse-scrolling and clicking.  I just spent the last half-hour redefining those system paths after you (strongly) encouraged me to move the cmpro installation folder.  If there was an easier way, such as saving a config file, I'd love to hear it.  And I have NO idea what you mean by letting "batchrun create profiles for you" (though since I'm not using external datfiles, I assume that's not relevant).  When I uninstalled cmpro via its own uninstallation utility, I did see where several files were left over, but I had no idea what to do with them in preparation for a new installation placement.

Simply let me know which files are present in the4 drmn2mpu. If it's only one chd file which got a _randomnumber extension, then simply let cmpro rename it.
Well, again, that's detailed in the DOS CLI screenshot.  There're only the two CHD files, one with the _randomnumber extension.  And the entire problem is that cmpro does NOT want to rename it (see log entry screenshot).  What other information do you need to know?

The rebuilder rebuilds/adds anything valid from the source to the destination. There is an option which removes rebuilt files from the source. These includes zips and folder if they are empty after the rebuilt file was removed. So it cleans itself automatically...Usually you got text files or other garbarge...they won't be removed.
So check what is still in the source after you've used the remove source file after rebuilt.....and save that for later.
Hmmm, I'll have to play around with that option.  If you've enabled the option to remove rebuilt files from the download source, why would you want to save any leftover files for later?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2010, 07:33 »

The one I listed earlier with the DOS CLI screenshot.  One file is 99,344 bytes and the other is 151,743.  Obviously, one is very different than the other.  Are you not seeing that screenshot?

Ah there...well...what you can do is, simply rename both chds to something random. clrmamepro will detect them as being wrong placed/named and will move/rename them to their correct place/name.

C'mon, Roman, don't get snarky.  I honestly don't know how to use this program, what with its numerous, rather arcane-sounding options.  Defining system paths in and of itself is VERY clunky and requires a LOT of mouse-scrolling and clicking. 

Actually not. First of all, system default paths is already something the more experienced users use and secondly, Hit the "auto detect sysdefpaths" button and it will assign them for you.

Well, again, that's detailed in the DOS CLI screenshot.  There're only the two CHD files, one with the _randomnumber extension.  And the entire problem is that cmpro does NOT want to rename it (see log entry screenshot).  What other information do you need to know?
Of course it does not rename it because the new name file already exists as you can see. So do what's stated above, rename them to something random, cmpro will do the rest for you.

Hmmm, I'll have to play around with that option.  If you've enabled the option to remove rebuilt files from the download source, why would you want to save any leftover files for later?

Because you might need them? Becuase they may be files which get added to MAME later on? Because you collect .txt files in zips ;)...Why should cmpro remove not rebuilt files?

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2010, 22:11 »

Ah there...well...what you can do is, simply rename both chds to something random. clrmamepro will detect them as being wrong placed/named and will move/rename them to their correct place/name.
Okay, I'll try that and will get back to you.  Right now, I'm running a merging operation that's going to take awhile, as I've got about 200 gigs of files for cmpro to process.

Actually not. First of all, system default paths is already something the more experienced users use and secondly, Hit the "auto detect sysdefpaths" button and it will assign them for you.
Well, I thought that was probably an "advanced feature", but figured it was better to bite the bullet now rather than tackle it later.  Also, from what I recall, the ADS button didn't assign the subdirectories properly, as I did try the option.  However, when this merging operation is finished, I'll try it again and see what happens.

Actually, regarding the discrete system paths, I've got a problem.  The "move sets" doesn't seem to work anymore.   I did a rebuilder operation last night (which ran just about all night) and it just dumped everything into my root roms\ directory.  And the manual button doesn't seem to do anything.  I'll be able to experiment a bit more after this merging operation is complete.

Because you might need them? Becuase they may be files which get added to MAME later on? Because you collect .txt files in zips ;)...Why should cmpro remove not rebuilt files?
Hey, that's why I was asking.  And I meant in regards to successfully rebuilt files, not unsuccessful ones.  I'm a big fan of keeping a "pruned" system, so if a file has been processed and isn't needed anymore, I'd like it deleted.  What sort of .txt files would one collect in a zip file?  What sort of files should one definitely keep around for "just in case" purposes?  Both of those are honest questions (IOW, I'm not trying to be sarcastic).

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2010, 22:14 »

at least I found the reason for the "version" prompt issue....fixed for next release
That's good news.  At least all my I'm sure tedious questions haven't been entirely unproductive. ;)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2010, 07:40 »

Okay, I'll try that and will get back to you.  Right now, I'm running a merging operation that's going to take awhile, as I've got about 200 gigs of files for cmpro to process.
Don't tell me you're using the Merger for this....Scanner and rebuilder are way faster and more reliable. The Merger is an old time left over...

The "move sets" doesn't seem to work anymore.   I did a rebuilder operation last night (which ran just about all night) and it just dumped everything into my root roms\ directory.  And the manual button doesn't seem to do anything.  I'll be able to experiment a bit more after this merging operation is complete.
Rebuilding a whole night? Either you got a very very slow CPU/HD or you didn't use the "no recompress" option.
What is the manual button? What "move set" operation? If you want to rebuild to systemdefaultpaths, you need to tell the rebuilder to do so.

if a file has been processed and isn't needed anymore, I'd like it deleted.
That's excatly what the remove-rebuilt-sourcefile option in the rebuilder does.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2010, 07:41 by Roman »

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 August 2010, 03:13 »

Don't tell me you're using the Merger for this....Scanner and rebuilder are way faster and more reliable. The Merger is an old time left over...
Well, yes.  The program and documentation makes it very clear that cmpro MUST know what sort of files its dealing with when doing its various operations, so I figured I'd go ahead and make sure I had the sets in the right "format" (split-sets).  The Merger seemed like the only way to ensure this, so I hit the button and just let her rip.

Rebuilding a whole night? Either you got a very very slow CPU/HD or you didn't use the "no recompress" option.
No, it's a pretty fast system (Core 2 Quad 9550 [non-OC'd]) with four gigs of PC2-8000 running Win7 Ultimate x64.  And you're right, I had the "Recompress Files" option checked (I don't remember checking it, though).  I take it this is an unnecessary option to enable?  Since it is an option, when is it necessary?

What is the manual button? What "move set" operation? If you want to rebuild to systemdefaultpaths, you need to tell the rebuilder to do so.
What I referred to the "manual button" is (in reality) the Move Sets button under systems.  Sorry, it was late and I wasn't being clear.

I just tried the Move Sets button again and very little (if any) seems to've gotten moved.  I've still got over 8,700 files in my main roms\ directory.  If they don't belong to any particular system, shouldn't cmpro be moving them to at least the roms\standard\ directory?  I have the "Standard" system directory defined as "G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms\standard\".

Here are a smattering of files that are sitting in my root roms\ directory.  They look orphaned, which is why I'm concerned.  I don't know if this will help (maybe you'll recognize some of them):

005.zip
act2000.zip
aliens.zip
dassault.zip
imago.zip
maxforce.zip
parodious.zip
quantum.zip
skywolf.zip
xevious.zip
zoar.zip

Is there any way to determine if these files (and others) are part of a system?

On the bright side, I THINK I'm finally beginning to understand this application a bit better.  Not a lot, but at least a little.  It is definitely not for the faint-of-heart, though.

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 August 2010, 04:10 »

Oh, on a (positive) note, I did rename both those CHDs that cmpro was stumbling over.  I named the smaller file "small.chd" and the larger file "large.chd".  cmpro did, indeed, pinpoint which file was correct, named it appropriately, and deleted the "bad" file.  I actually had to do that to about ten files.  So that problem has at least been solved.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2010, 07:58 »

Well, yes.  The program and documentation makes it very clear that cmpro MUST know what sort of files its dealing with when doing its various operations, so I figured I'd go ahead and make sure I had the sets in the right "format" (split-sets).  The Merger seemed like the only way to ensure this, so I hit the button and just let her rip.
Not really....Scanner shows "you prefer". If you scan a fully merged collection as split merged....well, cmpro will split merge it for you during fixing..of course this takes longer ;)
Merger is obsolete...since years.

No, it's a pretty fast system (Core 2 Quad 9550 [non-OC'd]) with four gigs of PC2-8000 running Win7 Ultimate x64.  And you're right, I had the "Recompress Files" option checked (I don't remember checking it, though).  I take it this is an unnecessary option to enable?  Since it is an option, when is it necessary?
When you care about perfectly compressed sets...If you're sure that all of your zips are already compressed with a fine zip compression setting, you don't need to enable it.
Or you recompress them later on as a batch (or with Zipmax).

What I referred to the "manual button" is (in reality) the Move Sets button under systems.  Sorry, it was late and I wasn't being clear.
I just tried the Move Sets button again and very little (if any) seems to've gotten moved.  I've still got over 8,700 files in my main roms\ directory.  If they don't belong to any particular system, shouldn't cmpro be moving them to at least the roms\standard\ directory?  I have the "Standard" system directory defined as "G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms\standard\".
Ah...ooook...I will have a look at that functionality. Can you send me your cmpro.ini file plus the .cmp file belonging to your profile (in cmpro's settings folder). Currently I assume you got a rompath "G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms" and defined the "standard" sysdeffolder as G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms\standard"....
by the way, having capsuled rompaths ain't a good thing to use...

Is there any way to determine if these files (and others) are part of a system?
Either look at the datfile (if you used an exe to import the data you can export the datfile in set-information window) or check the set-information window and click on the names....you find the "rom-of" information at the top of the screen.

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2010, 01:50 »

Not really....Scanner shows "you prefer". If you scan a fully merged collection as split merged....well, cmpro will split merge it for you during fixing..of course this takes longer ;)
Merger is obsolete...since years.
Oh, well, errr, okay.  I take it this means it really shouldn't ever be used?  Is that section of the program going to be eliminated in a future release?

When you care about perfectly compressed sets...If you're sure that all of your zips are already compressed with a fine zip compression setting, you don't need to enable it.
Or you recompress them later on as a batch (or with Zipmax).
Well, I wasn't sure they were already compressed, with a fine zip compression setting or a coarse one, hence why I used this option.

Ah...ooook...I will have a look at that functionality. Can you send me your cmpro.ini file plus the .cmp file belonging to your profile (in cmpro's settings folder). Currently I assume you got a rompath "G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms" and defined the "standard" sysdeffolder as G:\M.A.M.E.\MameUI64\roms\standard"....
That's correct.  It seemed the most logical way to do things in order to fully separate rom files from their respective systems.  Is this not the usual way it's done?

I sent you those two files over regular email.  Please let me know if you receive them.

by the way, having capsuled rompaths ain't a good thing to use...
Uh oh.  I'm almost afraid to ask what this means.  You mean it isn't a good idea to use the whole "Systems" feature and split out the roms accordingly?

Either look at the datfile (if you used an exe to import the data you can export the datfile in set-information window) or check the set-information window and click on the names....you find the "rom-of" information at the top of the screen.
Ah, okay.  I'll definitely give that a whirl.

fleggett

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7 Windows 7
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2010, 02:45 »

BTW, I have no idea if this'll help in any way, but here's my "System & assigned System-Default Paths"

System Paths

(Click on "System Paths" to bring up the graphic.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.

anything
anything