EMULAB Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The new forum is online, hope you enjoy it!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: easy question re MAME/MESS merger....what if I only care about MAME?  (Read 10684 times)

Old Wolf

• Operating System:
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
    • View Profile

Roman

I have an easy question about MAME/MESS merger.  I am a long time MAME fan (17+ years) and enjoy ensuring that I have a complete file set after every MAME release by using your wonderful program.  I have never had an interest in MESS.  With the MAME/MESS merger, my question is whether I will be able to direct CMP to look/check ONLY for MAME related files and completely ignore MESS?  And if so, can you tell me how?

Sorry if this question has already been answered or is self-evident.

Thanks for all your tireless efforts in supporting the emulation community.....

Old Wolf
Austin, Texas

AnnaWu

• Operating System:
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 18.0 Firefox 18.0
    • View Profile

Not for MAME [Arcade] version only.

MESS as subtarget
Arcade as subtarget
MAME as unified Version (MAME [Arcade]+MESS)

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile

As far as I currenly know (haven't looked at the final xml output yet)...there is no flag in the standard compile to differ between former MESS and MAME sets. Any assumption like "got softwarelists" won't lead to anything useful....
sooo....unless someone adds an XML element/attribute to differ between a machine and a machine (you see the point ;-)) you won't be able to do a good separation...

CiroConsentino

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 37.0 Firefox 37.0
    • View Profile

Any assumption like "got softwarelists" won't lead to anything useful....
heh, that's exactly what I did for my frontend Emu Loader. All machines that have a "softwarelist" entry are excluded from the main games list, except a few machines required for multi-slot loading: neogeo, stv, megaplay, vectrex.
I know it's a dirty hack, but It works pretty well and no arcade games were excluded as far as I could see. I even made Emu Loader generate a .txt file with all machines excluded from the list, so anyone can check it for themselves and make sure no arcade machines were left out.
But there are lots of console/computer entries still being added. Without some kind of "systemtype" tag in -listxml output, it will be impossible to filter non-arcade machines.
This is a temporary solution until MAME have a tag like the one above to categorize machine entries in -listxml...

I've just removed this from my frontend. EL will list all MESS drives, even if you can't run anything with them.
I'll probably make no further efforts to hide MESS machines.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2015, 21:26 by CiroConsentino »

DamienD

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.130 Chrome 43.0.2357.130
    • View Profile

Roman

I have an easy question about MAME/MESS merger.  I am a long time MAME fan (17+ years) and enjoy ensuring that I have a complete file set after every MAME release by using your wonderful program.  I have never had an interest in MESS.  With the MAME/MESS merger, my question is whether I will be able to direct CMP to look/check ONLY for MAME related files and completely ignore MESS?  And if so, can you tell me how?

Sorry if this question has already been answered or is self-evident.

Thanks for all your tireless efforts in supporting the emulation community.....

Old Wolf
Austin, Texas

I'm with you Old Wolf. Like you I've been playing arcades since a very young age and when I first discovered MAME back in 1998 all my dreams had come true ;)

I also have no interest in MESS and only care for the arcade side of MAME.

Anyway, now onto my situation / question. I've just downloaded the latest version of MAMEUI64 v.163 and want to see what I'm missing from my complete v.162 ROMs / CHDs. I've create a DAT file from the above executable but when running a scan all MESS stuff is appearing...

I've read AnnaWu's post but can't figure out how to exclude MESS. Can anyone please assist?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

What you know as MAME and MESS is now "MAME"...easy as that. If you use the official MAME binary within cmpro, you get everything, computers, consoles, arcade machines. Live with it. MESS is dead.

You can compile MAME yourself with an arcade only target. If you then use this self-compiled binary, you only have the arcade stuff.

DamienD

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile

Thanks Roman. I know MAME and MESS are now combine ;)

With "MAMEUI64 v.162" all was good as it was compiled using only "Arcade". In "MAMEUI64 v.163" it's not the case...

Don't really want to play around with compiling my own version of MAME. Guess I'll just have to wait for AntoPISA's MAME dats where you have the choice to use either:

... MAME 162 Arcade.dat
... MAME 162 Full.dat
... MAME 162 Home.dat

Thing is, if the above have previously been created then surely there's a way for me to do this also?

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Browser:
    • View Profile

Well...if MAMEUI .163 returns non-arcade sets you should ask the author ;-)
Compiling MAME yourself is easy...the tools are available at mamedev.org (and there's an installer...you don't really have to do anything complex...) plus a "make" call...

I don't know who or how the mentioned dats were created...

DamienD

• Operating System:
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
    • View Profile

Alrighty, cheers Roman.

Also a big thank you for your continued efforts with ClrMAMEPro. Been using this for many, many years now to assist with MAME / TOSEC sets etc.. Don't know what I'd do without it  ;)

bobross

• Operating System:
  • Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile

Yeah I have to agree here.  It's hard to tell what you are really missing just for arcade with all these other systems mixed in.  In one release now I'm missing 8000+ ROMs.  How am I supposed to sort that out?  It wound be nice if there was some MAME (arcade only) search toggle.

Would switching back to an old version of Clrmamepro solve this? 

Roman

• Global Moderator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
    • View Profile

no it wouldnt solve this. and actually there is nothing to solve. there is only Mame now. Mess is dead. There is no flag in the listxml output which let you identify non arcade sets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 19 queries.